Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Engineering Specials

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a customer who is interested in deploying Calabrio call recording.

They have informed him that he needs to run CUCM 8.6.2.22033 which is an Engineering Special based upon CUCM 8.6.2.21900-01

I have always tried to avoid ES releases based upon my experiences with Windows based CallManager where sometimes ES patches had to be removed before applying upgrades.

My question is does using Engineering Specials with appliance based versions of CUCM have any gotchas? - e.g. can I base any upgrade planning on the CUCM base version (in this case CUCM 8.6(2a)SU1 as far as I can determine).

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

We have used many CUCM and CUC ES's over the years when required but

you do need to be aware of certain bugs when doing future upgrades. Here is

one such example

CSCtx42925 - 8.6(2a)su1 upgrade rules to prevent install over ineligible ES's

Description

Symptom:
Upgrades to CUCM  8.6(2a)su1, also known as 8.6.2.21900-x, are not displayed as a valid  upgrade for any es's between 8.6.2.21016-x and 8.6.2.21899 inclusive.
Conditions:
Only  applicable for customers upgrading to CUCM 8.6(2a)su1, also known as  8.6.2.21900-x. The upgrade rules included with this fix prevent  customers from installing over an Engineering Special that may contain  fixes not present in 8.6(2a)su1.
Workaround:
Upgrade to an es in the 8.6.2.22xxx-x range or higher
When you run an ES you do needd to do a bit more "due diligence" on your next upgrade.
Cheers!
Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Avoid ESs if you can, but they don't affect upgrade planning. I've had various ESs on CUCM 6, 7 & 8, and upgrading from them was not a problem.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

Its true that SU's undergo a little higher testing as compared to ES's but not all bug fixes and getting a roll up of the bugs integrated in the SU will take a long time and ES's are released every week integrating multiple bugs being encountered/filed by customers. I have multiple customers various ES's and havent encountered any issues in ugprading to them.

Hope this helps

Regards

Niket

Kindly rate useful posts!!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

We have used many CUCM and CUC ES's over the years when required but

you do need to be aware of certain bugs when doing future upgrades. Here is

one such example

CSCtx42925 - 8.6(2a)su1 upgrade rules to prevent install over ineligible ES's

Description

Symptom:
Upgrades to CUCM  8.6(2a)su1, also known as 8.6.2.21900-x, are not displayed as a valid  upgrade for any es's between 8.6.2.21016-x and 8.6.2.21899 inclusive.
Conditions:
Only  applicable for customers upgrading to CUCM 8.6(2a)su1, also known as  8.6.2.21900-x. The upgrade rules included with this fix prevent  customers from installing over an Engineering Special that may contain  fixes not present in 8.6(2a)su1.
Workaround:
Upgrade to an es in the 8.6.2.22xxx-x range or higher
When you run an ES you do needd to do a bit more "due diligence" on your next upgrade.
Cheers!
Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: