Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Guides

jakehabart
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

after the SRND guide should the callmanager system guide be read before the admin guide?

is there acutally a recommended order for all the main guides?

thx

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would actually recommend reading the SRND before reading anything else.  Then Installation, System, and Administration - likely in that order (my opinion).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

I have to agree with Hailey 100% in this area (+5 to Hailey).  I believe it is very important that one review the SRND a few times before diving into clicking links and buttons to configure a phone.  Anyone can get two phones to talk to each other, the responsibility for a professional is to know what is trully happening under the hood.  Now, I am not pretending that I am one who knows 100% what is going on under the hood of CUCM.  However, I have a better idea than I would if I just used the admin guides only.

That being said, the SRND isn't enough by itself.  There are very valuable tidbits in the admin guides that Rob pointed out (+5 to the R-man).  I also agree with his order, more or less.  Finally, I recommend reviewing the troubleshooting guide.  It has come a long way over the years, and is pretty handy.

Now, there is some redundancy to all of this reading.  I hate to say it, but one of the lessons to learn is that not all documents, document the same thing in the same way.  It is highly likely you will read something in the SRND and find a piece of information in an admin guide that appears to be conflicting.  Questioning the conflict and understanding it (by actuallying doing) is a beneficial exercise.  Most of the time you will see that the conflict was more in wording or in your understanding than an actual error.  Though, errors do exist and pop up more often then they should.  Looking at CUPS and the UC SRND chapter on presence is enough to make you bonkers.  Maybe that was just me...

Anyway,  my recommended order would be:

1. Read the SRND.  At least start with the high level design principles

2. After the SRND or in tandem, review the documents that Rob provided

3. Read the troubleshooting guide

4. Re-read the SRND  ;-)

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey jake,

I've never seen a recommended "order" for reading these Guides,

but I like your way of thinking of going with the System Guide as a first

step

I might do something like this order (I believe you are running 6.x);

* Cisco Unified Communications Manager System Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Serviceability Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features and Services Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide for Release 6.1(2)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Real-Time Monitoring Tool Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Security Guide, Release 6.1
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Bulk Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager CDR Analysis and Reporting Administration Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Communications Manager Dialed Number Analyzer Guide, Release 6.1(1)
* Cisco Unified Reporting Administration Guide, Release 6.1(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

Cheers!
Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: