cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM IM Presence 10.5 : Cannot assign users to a server that is not in valid state

satish rawat
Level 1
Level 1

While working on a recent CUCM 10.5 install i encountered the error "CUCM IM Presence 10.5 : Cannot assign users to a server that is not in valid state" while assigning new users to IM presence group.In the beginning i restarted both IM presence servers multiple time but that did not helped. I

also shutdown the backup IMP server completely but no luck, i then shut the publisher IMP server and same thing. I was so hesitant to remove the existing users from the IMP presence as they were working fine and i do not wanted to disrupt their operation. I even did a db replication but no luck.

FYI: I have high availability enabled

Finally this is what i had to do to fix the problem.

Unassign all users from IMP redundancy group then stop these services on IMP pub and Sub one by one.

Cisco Presence Engine
    Cisco SIP Proxy
    Cisco XCP Router
    Cisco Sync Agent
    Cisco Client Profile Agent

bring the above services up first on IMP PUB and SUB and then try assigning users to presence servers from CUCM end user management window. It took sometime after services were up for me to actually able to assign users to IMP.

Monitor the IMP redundancy group server status from IM presence redundancy group from CUCM admin page, this is different in ver 10.x as this window is usually in IMP server administration in earlier versions.

If required try to failover the service from PUB to SUB or SUB to PUB from IMP redundancy group.

HTH

16 Replies 16

satish rawat
Level 1
Level 1

another issue on CUCM 10.5 with IMP 10.5 with no DNS

jabber for windows clients users are able to login to clients but cannot search users from UDS ( CUCM end user directory). The fix is you have to upload jabber-config.xml file with below parameters to tftp server and then restart the tftp.

complete steps

1. create a xml file with name"jabber-config.xml" and copy following

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
 <Directory>
  <DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
 </Directory>
</config>

2. make sure the file format is utf-8 and type is xml. go to CUCM OS admin.tftp file management and upload the file to root directory

3. restart the tftp service from serviceability, just avoid confusion restart on all servers in the cluster.

4. exit out of jabber client completely in fact kill the jabber client, relaunch the client and login and you should be able to search users from CUCM end user directory. If you UDS server is different than CUCM then specify the same in xml file.

HTH

I have only one user that i cannot assign to the presence server. All other user are assigned and works fine. Any thoughts ? we have a total of 811 users assigned in the moment and it show 810 active users of 811. I troubleshoot as much as i could but nothing kicking in my mind. Million thanks in advance for any suggestion to solve this.

Majed, 

Sorry I saw it now, go to the CUCM System > Presence Redundancy Groups

Click find and choose the correct group just uncheck "Enable High availability" checkbox. You should be able to assign the user then.

Once User is assigned you need to check the "Enable High availability" again.

Please rate if it helps....:)

Joseph Thvedt
Level 1
Level 1

I've got mine working, thanks to this blog post. The fix was in CUCM -> System -> Presence Redundancy Groups. Select your group. Un-check the "Enable High Availability" checkbox, and save. Re-check that same checkbox, and save again. In a few minutes the server state should go through a couple of different states (I believe "initializing" was one of them), ending up at "Normal." At this point, I could assign users to the server. 

Thank you very much Joseph. Your advise completely helped me solve my issue. Really appreciated.

Hi Joseph,

I am experiencing the same issue and would like to try your suggestion, however it is currently business hours.  Will this have to be performed after-hours?  <Un-check the "Enable High Availability" checkbox, and save>.  

Any advice and/or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Diana 

I'm not qualified to give you advice, but I'll tell you this: I did it during normal business hours, with no apparent ill effects. Your mileage may very. You may wish to wait for off hours, or run it by TAC.

I wish I had taken better notes when I did this, but if my memory is correct, the "Presence Redundancy Group Configuration" page showed that my high availability was not in a good state. That gave me confidence that toggling HA might be the right thing to do. I think either the assigned/active user counts were different between the two servers, or the server state was not "normal" for one or the other server.

If you choose to do it, good luck to you, and take better notes than I did! Make sure everything looks correct on that page once you're done.

Thank you Joseph!  Your suggested steps resolved the issue.  

To be on the safe side, i did get a maintenance window and performed it after hours and it resolved the issue!

Attached is the error i was seeing on my end.

Cheers!

Diana

Good to hear, and thanks for the screen shot -- that should help others diagnose this problem.

I did it during normal business hours. No business impact as it was not working already. After the bounce it went back to normal. Thanks.  

Perfect! This worked for me. I was wreaking my brain trying to resolve this!! Thanks Again!!

Thanks for the comment . It really worked for me.

Both publisher and subscriber should show "Normal" as the state.

You may have a bigger problem than I had. Both of your servers show as "Failed" while one of mine was normal. You probably should contact support. That "Recover" button may or may not fix it; I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you.

See also the screen shot from Diana on this thread -- I believe that matches what I saw before I fixed it, but doesn't match your screen shot.

Thanks Joseph, I just unchecked and checked the "Enable High availability" in (System > Presence Redundancy Groups) and that not only resolved the servers but I was also able to assign the End user as well. Thanks again every on here.