I was able to get a filter for the IP Phone filed to work fine on CUCM 8.5.1 and AD 2003. Any reason you know of why your filter in this post is not working on my production CUCM 8.5.1 and AD 2008 r2? SRND doesn't say it's NOT supported.
The LDAP sync is pulling in all users—with and without IP Phone number populated. We had about 1000 users in CM prior to the sync and now we have 3000 users after the sync. A spot check of the users shows that we are not filtering out the users without the IP Phone field populated. And I did double check to make sure I added the filter to the sync info! See my screenshots:
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers and
partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to properly
assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue without
involving TAC. This document discusses the bas...