Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM migration license

cbrasolin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I want to explain what we are facing any time we are doing a migration to the new CUCM 8.x. We bought migration for enhanced user and any time we have to register the license is something really frustrating.

For example, customer with CUCM 5.x and 1000 phones want to move to CUCM 8.x. So 1000 enhanced user to migrate to the new system.

Really often happen that we configure the new cluster with a fresh configuration for many reasons and we don't want to import the old configuration. As you know when you buy the migration for 1 enhanced user only 2 DLU are provided, it is obviously insufficient, so we have to wrote to the licensing team asking the missing DLU. Any times this process seems to be a problem: they ask to use the DMA even if we wrote that we are migrating a release 5.x or that we are not using the DMA tools is the case the starting CCM is a 4.x and we have to loose 2/3 days for have a license. Have someone the same problem?

I'm really disappointed on how Cisco is managing the license migration process. I can't understand why if i buy a new Enhanced user i've 6 DLU while if i buy a migration for the Enhanced user i've only 2 DLU and i must ask the licensing team for the missing DLU. If the licensing model is based on user and the Enhanced user can use any kind of phone, why for a 7911 phone are provided only 3 DLU? What if the customer want to change the phone to a 7942? Have we to spend days trying to explain at the licensing team why we need 1 more DLU?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've faced this scenario a few times where you are building a new cluster in parallel to a legacy cluster and then migrating users over basically onto a new configuration.  While each experience may vary in regards to obtaining a license, I've found that if you are as specific as possible in the licensing request then you can avoid problems.  For example, I recently had a request for the same scenario except the old cluster was version 4.x.  I first registered the PAK codes that were provided.  From there, I sent a request to licensing and providing the following:

1.  Sales Order Number

2.  PAK Keys

3.  MAC Address of Publisher (new)

4.  Explanation that the customer is doing an upgrade/migration but using new hardware and building the new cluster in parallel.  I then note that existing DLU and node licenses need to be included in the license for the new cluster and ask Cisco to provide the "DLU Calculator worksheet".

The DLU calculator allows you to do a simple spreadsheet of the counts of existing devices in the legacy cluster and the number of nodes along with the same type of information provided in the email (MAC, sales order, etc).  You fill it out and provide it back and get the licensing you need.

There are certainly kinks in the licensing process and I think we've all experienced the headaches from time to time and some more often than others I'm sure.  I think this is a key inititative for Cisco as far as things to improve.  In the interim, you gotta work with what's available and being very clear upfront has worked well for me recently.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've faced this scenario a few times where you are building a new cluster in parallel to a legacy cluster and then migrating users over basically onto a new configuration.  While each experience may vary in regards to obtaining a license, I've found that if you are as specific as possible in the licensing request then you can avoid problems.  For example, I recently had a request for the same scenario except the old cluster was version 4.x.  I first registered the PAK codes that were provided.  From there, I sent a request to licensing and providing the following:

1.  Sales Order Number

2.  PAK Keys

3.  MAC Address of Publisher (new)

4.  Explanation that the customer is doing an upgrade/migration but using new hardware and building the new cluster in parallel.  I then note that existing DLU and node licenses need to be included in the license for the new cluster and ask Cisco to provide the "DLU Calculator worksheet".

The DLU calculator allows you to do a simple spreadsheet of the counts of existing devices in the legacy cluster and the number of nodes along with the same type of information provided in the email (MAC, sales order, etc).  You fill it out and provide it back and get the licensing you need.

There are certainly kinks in the licensing process and I think we've all experienced the headaches from time to time and some more often than others I'm sure.  I think this is a key inititative for Cisco as far as things to improve.  In the interim, you gotta work with what's available and being very clear upfront has worked well for me recently.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

I wrote all the times the informations about the order and the kind of migration but it seem to me that they have the same preconfigured answers. The first one is to use the DMA, no matter if i wrote that i've a cucm 5.x or if i'm not using it because i'm configuring manually the cluster. I really hope that Cisco will improve the licensing process very soon because now is working very bad.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: