cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM phone state unknown

terryabbott
Level 5
Level 5

In cucm 8.6(2), when I see the state of a phone as unknown that used to be registered to the CUCM but has been disconnected, how long from the time of disconnect until the phone shows as unknown?  Is there a timer or is it a reboot of a system, etc?  We are trying clean up abandon entries in the CUCM and do not want to delete a phone of someone that is on vacation, medical leave or any other reason the phone may be off but still should be kept on the system.

Terry              

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A phone will become "unknown" fairly instantaneously, it is definitely NOT reboot dependent.

To answer you question specifically, there is no quick and easy way to find out if users have unplugged their phone becuase they are on hoiliday, there is no such thing. My question would be why would you?

What I would do is change the MAC addresses of these phones that are unknow, and give them a meaningfull description (such as the real MAC address and desknumber). by all means do not remove them from the system, so that is someone reports their phone is not registered, you can reinstate it easily by changing the dummy back. 

That way you can leave the dummy addresses in CUCM for a certain period of time, before permanently deleting them.

Otherwise I cant see a fiull proof way.

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

View solution in original post

Hello Terry

Check this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1069035#1069035

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A phone will become "unknown" fairly instantaneously, it is definitely NOT reboot dependent.

To answer you question specifically, there is no quick and easy way to find out if users have unplugged their phone becuase they are on hoiliday, there is no such thing. My question would be why would you?

What I would do is change the MAC addresses of these phones that are unknow, and give them a meaningfull description (such as the real MAC address and desknumber). by all means do not remove them from the system, so that is someone reports their phone is not registered, you can reinstate it easily by changing the dummy back. 

That way you can leave the dummy addresses in CUCM for a certain period of time, before permanently deleting them.

Otherwise I cant see a fiull proof way.

Hello Terry

Check this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1069035#1069035

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

This is a great suggestion by minkdennis.  Thank you.

Johannes Snyman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

By default, this is 3 days.

It is controlled by a Cisco RIS Data Collector service parameter called RIS Unused Cisco Callmanager Device Store Period. This parameter specifies the RIS database information storage period for any unregistered or rejected device information from the Cisco CallManager service. After the time specified in this parameter expires, Cisco CallManager removes the expired entries during the next RIS database cleanup time (specified in the RIS Cleanup Time of the Day parameter). it has a minimum value of 1 day and a maximum value of 30 days.

HTH

Johan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: