Helpful
Replies

CUCM restore with different database version

rajesh.kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

We have Cisco CUCM version 5.1.3-4112-1

we are re-hosting and upgrading CUCM to latest version.

Since exising version is not available to download from Cisco. We have installed CUCM version 5.1.3-5101-1 on another MCS server and restored  backup taken from production CUCM 5.1.3-4112-1.

It gave warning that database mismatch. But it restored without any further error.

Now we are upgrading this CUCM to version 7.x and further.

I would like to know, did this restored all the confiuguration? But cisco documentation says database also should match.

Since we dont have media for exact match. Restored on another database version.

Will it create any issue? or it restored everything ?

Pls. suggest.

Rgds

Rajesh Kumar

7 Replies 7

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rajesh,

What I suggest is to upgrade your existing 5.1.3.4112-1 to 5.1(3g) , then restore.

Also, install 5.1.3.5101 on new MCS and bring this also to 5.1(3g).

Cisco recommends to restore on same version.

Since u have restored on different 5.x version, can u check the DBReplication .

regds,

aman

Dear Aman

Since we are migrating to new latest version and moving to UCS and VM.

CUCM 5.1.3 is installed only on one standby server. I cant check the dbreplication.

Now we are upgrading the CUCM which I just restored to CUCM 7.x.

I just want to know, will there be any issue, if I restore in different version and upgrade the restored CUCM to version 7.x and then 8.x.

Eventually, I will take backup and move into UCS VM.

I know doc. say, it should be same.

Am I loosing any configuration part, if I restore it on slightly different DB version ? while restore I got warning message saying DB version different. But I didnt got any error message.

waiting for your response.

Rgds

Rajesh kumar

Hi Rajesh,

How many servers do u have on 5.1.3.4112-1 in production? The reason why I am asking is that if u have u two servers , then, u  need to restore the backup on two servers only in LAB also.

Secondly, since u are going to upgrade to 8.x after spending so much of effort , why to take any chances.It is hard to check where the configuration mismatch has occurred.

Even if u open a TAC case with cisco, they would not support till backup is restored on same CUCM versions.

regds,

aman

Dear Aman

I agree with you. Fact is for cucm version 5.1.3.4112-1. This 4112-1 is ES version and cisco deleted that file from website...!

We have opened TAC case, TAC says this version is old and removed from website.

Existing CUCM is also not out of warranty and very old version we dont want to take chance of upgrading existing version.

It has almost 2000 phones registered.

Customer have procured CUCM ver 9.x and cisco UCS server. We want to migrate existing cucm to new system.

Thats the reason, I would like to know will there be any problem, if we resotre it on another db version. will there be any major issue?

At present there is two servers in prodcution cluster. but when I restored, I resotred on nly one server.

Is it possible to give feed back on the impact of resotring into sligtly different db version? Is there any configuration part  we face problem or need to be cross checked and rectified ?

Rgds

Rajesh Kumar

You need to restore on the EXACT SAME VERSION from which you took the backup, no other options.
Its not a recommendation, it just wont work if you try it.
Don't want to touch the server??? Then use BAT

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Rajesh,

The upgradation would be done on inactive partition.

Hope that u have bootable media of 5.1.3.4112-1 and backup is already there.In case of any major disaster, u can rebuild the PUB [phones would switch over to Subscriber] and restore the backup else follow the way as suggested by Mr. JAime.

regds,

aman

Dear Jaime Valencia

I took backup on 5.1.3-4112-1 and restored it on 5.1.3-5101-1.

I got warning message before start restore saying, "installed version is 5.1.3-5101-1 and backup version is

5.1.3-4112-1, you may need to install 5.1.3-4112-1 inorder to take backup, proceed with the restore"

Then restore continued and I got message "SUCCESS Restore completed 100%" reboot the server for the componenets have been successfully restored.

Also, after restart, I have checked couple of phone registration is also fine. Everything seems like fine.

Thats the reason, I want to find out what could have been missed, we dont have bootable media of 5.1.3-4112-1 incase to re-build the server.

Is there any way I can confim with the CLI commands, to verify, restored server is in healthy condition and I can upgrade to furhter version ?

Rgds
Rajesh kumar
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: