sub3 - p-cucm003

CMG4

sub8 - p-cucm002

sub6 - d-cucm004

sub4 - p-cucm004

For Cisco Unity Connection:

1 Publisher

1 Secondary

I will have one pilot number for voicemail.

I will be utilizing 96 VM ports on each Unity Connection box.

How many port groups should I configure on the Cisco Unity Connection?

Also how should my CUCM servers be set up within the port groups?

Thank You

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My assumption is that you have a CUC cluster (based on your info above).  If you are only integrating with this CUCM cluster, then you would just set up 2 port groups - 1 per CUC server.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Yep, the CUC is setup as a cluster.

Yep, I'm just integrating with this one CUCM cluster.

What would be the best way to setup the 2 port groups, as far as CUCM's go?

How many device pools do I need to configure on the CUCM for these voice mail ports.

Thank You!

Is the cluster split between 2 data centers? If 2 data centers I would consider 2 separate pilots to have control of which server is used by which users and build load balancing.

I personally like to use 2 Groups per UCON Server and split it between separate CUCM groups, this way if one of the primary CUCM server goes down not all ports have to re-register at the same time, but if all servers are at the same data center this would be an overkill.

Chris

So the requirement on my side is to only have one hunt pilot.

The primary CUC server sits in data center "D" and the  secondary CUC server sits in data center "P".  Both are located on the  same campus though.

So if on the CUCM side I only  created one device pool to put these CUC servers on, what would happen  if all three call managers in my CMG that the device pool points to were  to go down?

Would it be better to create two device pools, one for each CUC?

On the CUC side, two port groups are sufficient?  One for the PUB and one for the SUB?

I  was told that for the Call Managers I configure in the port groups, I  should match them to the Call Manager Groups in CUCM, is this correct?

Looking at how I have my Call Manager Groups in CUCM, which would be the best group to choose?

CMG1

sub1 - d-cucm001

sub3 - p-cucm003

sub5 - d-cucm003

CMG2

sub2 - d-cucm002

sub4 - p-cucm004

sub6 - d-cucm004

CMG3

sub7 - p-cucm001

sub5 - d-cucm003

sub3 - p-cucm003

CMG4

sub8 - p-cucm002

sub6 - d-cucm004

sub4 - p-cucm004

d = data center 1

p = data center 2

Thank You

I would create at least 2 device pools. For example: Primary CUC assigned to device pool for media devices in data center "D", Secondary CUC assigned to device pool for media devices in data center "P"

The CM group and assignment may have other considerations for you...such as how you're trying to distribute devices across CM's, failover and tertiary failover considerations, and etc. I would want the Primary CUC ports to register to a subscriber in the same data center (i.e., D). The same would be true of the Secondary CUC ports (i.e., P).

IMO, 2 port groups are fine - 1 for each server. Assign the servers based on your CM group selection.

Hailey

It really depends on the physical location of the servers as far as the device pools go.  Let's say you have 1 server in Site1 and the other in Site2.  In that case, I would generally have a device pool at each site for media / applications:

CUC Primary at Site1 would be in Site1_Media_DP

CUC Secondary at Site 2 would be in Site2_Media_DP

In CUCM, I would have 2 line groups - one for the CUC Publisher and one for the CUC Subscriber with a single hunt list.  The priority of the line groups would be:

CUC-Sub_LG

CUC-Pub_LG

In a Unity Connection cluster, you want the Subscriber to be the primary call processor and then you can overflow to the Publisher ports (if required) during peak call volumes.  Just remember that if you have ports that are solely dedicated to MWI (i.e., they do not answer calls...then do not add them those ports to the CUCM line groups).

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: