CUCM/Unity Connection/IPCC Upgrade Advice Request

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

I have a client who currently has this setup:

1 CUCM 4.2(3)sr3 Publisher Server

1 CUCM 4.2(3)sr3 Subscriber Server

1 Unity Connection 1.2(1) Server

1 IPCC Server v 4.0SR01_Build029  -this server is for SQL queries for credit reports

2 2811 Routers with C2800NM-IPVOICEK9-M IOS, 12.4(8c) Release Software (fc3)

1 2801 Router with C2801-SPServicesK9-M IOS, 12.4(8c), Relase Software (fc3)  -This is at a remote site.

I'm looking for advice on the best upgrade path specifically regarding the IPCC which is EOL/EOS.  I have heard that the new version of Cisco's IPCC software is integrated, or an addon for Unity. Are there any feasible upgrade paths?  Would the entire environment need to be upgraded?  Is an upgrade even possible given the current (old) versions?

I have done CUCM installs but not upgrades/migrations and I have no experience with IPCC.  Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

35 Replies 35

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Greg,

I'll have to look at the upgrade paths available in general to you but I caught one thing I wanted to touch on upfront.  You said that you "heard that new versions of IPCC were integrated with, or an add-on, of Unity" - I don't know where that is coming from.  There is a little bith of overlap in Auto Attendant functionality but not much - if you need a simple AA with no reporting or queueing, Unity has always had that.  IPCC is still a call center product and is not integrated with or dependent upon Unity.  Personally, I'd get all of the applications up to 7x.  This will require quite a bit of work and possibly some new hardware but you're running on threads with IPCC 4.0 and CUC 1x.  There are have been many improvements in both products and the Linux-based CUCM platforms are golden compared to the older Windows-based systems.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply!

That info regarding the IPCC I got second hand from on of our sales reps who was discussing this issue.  The sales rep called to find out Smartnet renewal info and found out the IPCC was eol/eos service so they started discussing upgrade options, which include the "integrated" news.   Now it's on my plate. =-)

Let me describe what the current IPCC is doing to give you a better idea of what I'm looking for in an updated product.

A member of my client's organization can called an 800 number which will connect them to the IPCC server.  They will be prompted to enter their Member id (this is logged for billing purposes).  Then they get a menu where they can either request a credit report for their own business, or another member's business.  With either answer, the IPCC server queries a SQL database located on another server, generates the report, and faxes the report to the requesting member's fax line (via a fax server, non Cisco/VoIP).

I understand that upgrading to any verision higher than 4.x means new hardware (and I would be very happy if that would get approved) but I'm not sure what the budget will be and I just want to get a few different options, if there are any.

Understood - you'll still need IPCC to do that sort of transaction. However, I'll look at some of the upgrade matrices I have a little later and see what might be supported for you. Can you send me the hardware models you're running as well? Whatever your sales rep was talking about that day was certainly a misunderstanding on his/her part. I can understand if he heard quite the opposite...in other words, in the 3x and 4x versions of CCM, you could run CRS/IPCC co-resident on the CCM. However, that is no longer true in the newer Linux platforms.

Hailey

Sorry for the delay in getting back.  All four servers are Cisco 7800 series.

Publisher:  MCS-7815-12 (Tower)

Subscriber:  MCS-7826H-3.0 Server 74-3461-01 (1U Rack Mount)

UCONN: MCS-7835H-3.0-Server 74-3462   (2U Rack Mount)

IPCC:  MCS-7815-UC1

Well, you've got some older hardware - outside of the Unity Connection server.  I've never been a fan of the 7815 servers in general.  I would say that you're likely looking at having to do some hardware upgrades to be able to really support the newer versions of applications.  I'll look for some links on the hardware you specified and get back to you later with some information.

Hailey

Thanks!

Hi Gmgarrian

Refer to the following link below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_compatibility/matrix/crscomtx.pdf

Google the following should you not beable to access this directly:

crscomtx.pdf :cisco.com

This is the compatibility matrix for the IPCC.

Going to version 7.x would be idea, this will be around for awhile.

Upgrading to this version will take some work.

What you have to do is firstly upgrade your IPCC 4.0 to IPCC 4.0(5) however this will require you to aquire the upgrade cds from your AM.

Upgrade guide for 4.0(1) to 4.0(5)

crs405ig.pdf :cisco.com in google and hit the first link.

Once that is done, you will have to run the DMT: Data Migration Tool, refer to the link to download the tool:

UCCX_DataMigration_V1_Bld107.zip :cisco.com

Release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282467017/23664/UCCX_DataMigrationTool_Guide_405x-701.pdf

Make sure to read the release notes on Prerequisite for migration.

Once you have successfully ran the EMT you will be ready to import the data back into  version 7.x of IPCC.

Refer to the following link for IPCC 7.0 installation/upgrade guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_7_0/installation/guide/uccx70ig.pdf

Good Luck on the upgrade.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Greg,

I was reading this thread and was thinking...Wow! This will be a major

undertaking for sure. Luckily we have people like Hailey to help us out

+5 points Hailey!

I had not seen this doc for a long time (if ever) and I thought you might find

some of the references and recommendations helpful.

Upgrading IPT Software Components

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/UC5.0.1/system_upgrade/ch3iptug.html

Cheers!

Huff

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Greg,

You're getting some good links here and info from top notch dudes like Rob.  +5 to both of these guys for good information.  I just want to sort of layout some considerations you need to make in general:

In your case, you have 2 key factors at play.  The first is you are running what are considered legacy applications.  Some may be (or already are) End of Sale/End of Life and possibly End of Support.  The second is that you are running entry-level servers that are considered legacy as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if almost all of them especially the 7815's are EoS/EoL and End of Support as well.  So, there are a few things that you have to focus on to get a viable upgrade plan in place.

1) What version do I need or want to get to?  You may need to consider specific features or maybe you just want to get current so that your applications are up-to-par and supported by TAC.  This eases the burden on you (or your customer) if you experience issues.

2) How do I get to my target version?  In some cases, you may need to do several iterative upgrades to reach a final upgrade version.  This costs you time and increases the risk associated with the upgrade as a whole for that application.  There are now multiple points at which you could encounter issues.

3) Now, what does my hardware support?  Let's say that all of your hardware is supported for each application (look up the application-specific hardware and software compatibility matrix to find what's supported) - but your hardware is no longer supported by TAC.  Is it worth the operational risk to you (or your customer) to continue on this legacy platforms or would it be more prudent long-term to purchase new hardware and potentially save quite a bit of time by reducing multiple iterative upgrades to reach a target upgrade version.  Another scenario - your hardware is supported but requires memory and storage upgrades for each.  Again, there is an operational risk to you here and you are incurring additional time spent validating the systems after upgrading these components.  This leads back to what's best long-term versus the short-term goal of getting to a specific upgrade version.  Last scenario - let's say your hardware is not supported.  This costs you (or your customer) more $$$ but again you may save money on the backend by reducing the time and risk associated with ugprading your applications.

It's a long to factor in, I know.  My intent is not to say "you have to get new hardware".  However, knowing how these things go - it may be best to plant the seeds for management to think about these two factor into one another.  So, if you find that you need to do upgrades here and there or whatever the case may be, it wont come off as a big shock to management and the corporate pocketbook.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Hailey

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Greg,

One more note here from my end

Hailey wouldn't lead you down the wrong path here, and I strongly agree that most if

not all of your servers will need to be replaced during this migration. (+5 for my friend Hailey!)

But this is not a bad thing (other than $$$$) and may actually make this a little easier in the long run.

For Unity Connection 7.x versions you need a minimum of an H2/I2 variant so your 7835 is not supported.

For CUCM the 7815I2 does show support in 7.x but will likely need to be beefed up (see notes in attached)

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a MCS7826 but maybe just a misprint (if you type like I do

For IPCC, I think Hoai has covered this off.

You can see where we're going here.

Cisco 7800 Series Media Convergence Servers

End-of-Life and End-of-Sale Notices

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/voiceapp/ps378/prod_eol_notices_list.html

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 Supported Platforms List

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps6509/data_sheet_c78-491743.html

Cheers!

Huff

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you everone for the info.  I've got a lot to read and digest.

I got work that we may get the budget to do a full hardware upgrade which should make things easier.

One thing I need clarification on per management request: If we do a full upgrade with new hardware/software will a separate server/device we needed for the IPCC functionality? Is it in anyway something that can be added to either the Pub/Sub of a CUCM 7.x group or the latest Unity that we would be upgrading to?

No, UCCX can no longer co-exist on CUCM hardware. You will need a separate server or server(s)(if you do an HA deployment) for UCCX. As for Unity, it has the capability to provide basic Automated Attendant functionality but it should not be looked at as an IVR solution with Supervisor/Agent, scripting, and reporting functionality like that of UCCX. UCCX has never been an add-on for Unity. The two products are unrelated.

Hailey

I think I understand.  I'm not sure of all the acronyms but to put it simply, I have four servers now, and  to upgrade the hardware and software to the 7.x family, keeping the same functionality, I will be required to get four new servers.

Is that correct?

GM,

You are correct.  If you keep the same type of deployment, you currently have the following:

1 CUCM 4.2(3)sr3 Publisher Server

1 CUCM 4.2(3)sr3 Subscriber  Server

1 Unity Connection 1.2(1) Server

1 IPCC Server v  4.0SR01_Build029

So, what you would end up needing is 4 servers as follows:

1 CUCM Pub

1 CUCM Sub

1 Unity Connection (CUC)

1 UCCX (Contact Center Express - I'm assuming you are running the Express version of this product and not Enterprise).

If you found that you needed additional redundancy requirements, you could have a topology like this:

1 CUCM Pub

1 CUCM Sub

1 CUC Pub

1 CUC Sub

1 UCCX Primary

1 UCCX Secondary

Not saying you need to do this, but it's an option...that would be 6 new servers.

You're likely to just go with a 1 for 1 replacement which is fine.  IMO, I would not consider any server hardware less than a 7825 series.  The 7815 are considered entry-level servers and I, personally, do not recommend them for production use.

Hailey

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: