Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade 7.1.3 to 8.6.2

Dave Mumford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone who has completed an upgrade to 8.6 call manager confirm that you need to fully install and switch versions/reload the publisher on 8.6 before you attempt to load the s/w on the subscriber and swiitch versions ?

before 8.6 you can upload the s/w to the inactive partitions on pub and subs then do the switch versions, i dont think you can do this when upgrading from pre 8.5 to 8.6.

Please confirm.

Thanks,

Dave.

4 Replies 4

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

The procedure remains same even in CUCM 8.6.

Step 2 Upgrade the first node in the cluster (the publisher node).

Step 3 Upgrade the subsequent nodes in the cluster (the subscriber nodes).

Step 4 Switch over the first node to the upgraded partition.

Step 5 Switch over subsequent nodes to the upgraded partition.

This procedure can not be changed for the fact that, CUCM software version MUST remain same on all the nodes across the cluster.

There is no upgrade guide for 8.5/8.6 so we need to use the upgrade guide for 8.0 only. The installation guide for 8.5/8.6 also points towards using the 8.0 upgrade guide for upgrade related details.

Check out " Upgrade Tasks " section at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_0_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1053332

Pls rate the post if it helps.

GP.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, have you actually tried this ? This is how I did my upgrade, switching the publisher works ok and comes back on 8.6 , when switching the subscribers this Comes back with an error software version mismatch, must change publisher before switching versions. If you read the 8.6 installation readme doc it appears to say that the publisher must be upgraded first and version switched before upgrading and switching the subs.....

One thing I also notice when installing the 8.6.2 os on the inactive partition is that once installed it shows as the same version I am upgrading from ( 7.1.3). ??? , I switched on the pub and then it shows as 8.6 on active and 7.1.3 on the inactive, when you try on the subs it throws up the error message above????

Regards,

Dave

Sent from my iPhone

This is taken from the 8.6.1 release notes, it is saying to do a fresh installation on the subs !, any comments from anyone that may have already seen this :

If the upgrade of a subsequent node fails after you upgrade the first node and switch it to the new version

or fail to upgrade one of the subsequent nodes in your cluster during the upgrade cycle, you can do one

of the following:

Release Notes for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.6(1a)

OL-25448-01

Upgrading to Unified CM 8.6(1a)

• Make sure that the active partition of the first node runs the newest version of software installed on

the server. Perform a fresh installation on the subsequent node using the same software version as

that running on the active partition of the first node. If you are reinstalling the subsequent node, you

should delete the server from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration and add the

server again as described in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

Looks like this could be a bug in 7.1.3...

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtq83570

Symptom:
show version inactive displays blank value, switch version fails on subscribers

as a workaround please use the Recovery CD to switch version on the subscribers,