Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade confusion

nareh84
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

I was reading throught the book regarding the upgrade and i have confusion regarding the upgrade via operating system webpage.

Is it correct that for example when i install cucm 6.0, the hardisk is divided into two partitions and cucm6.0 is installed on both partition of cucm and only one partition is active at a time ( and can be switched over in operating system webpage)?

If i want to upgrade from cucm version 6.0 to cucm 7.0.. I will insert the dvd (upgrade from ver 6 to ver 7)  and the in the operating sytem web page i chose the upgrade software option..and the cucm automaticaly upgrade the cucm6.0 of inactive partition while call processing still going on and i need to make the inactive partition active for cucm7 to start working??

If any body who had done upgradation can clear my confusion...

Regards

Nareh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whenever you install CUCM for the 1st time 2 partitons are created.

Active

Inactive

You run what's on Active.

On fresh install inactive is blank.

When you upgrade, install ES or patch, the install is done on Inactive, then you need to switch the partition to use that new version.

The above keeps happening until you do a fresh install. You keep switching and you can also switch back to the N-1 version you had.

Yes, you install on inactive while CUCM is still running. Still the advise is to do this afterhours or during maintenance windows.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

walshliam
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I think you have a good understanding.

When you upgrade, you are upgrading the inactive partition. This is done in the background and does not impact call processing. Once you have upgraded all of your servers, you can "Switch Version" to the upgraded partition on each server starting with the publisher -> TFTP -> Subscribers. If you have any problems, you can switch back. There is great documentation with the upgrade readme that walks you through this. try it on a Lab server if you have one. The process is a little more involved than this, but basically it's that simple.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whenever you install CUCM for the 1st time 2 partitons are created.

Active

Inactive

You run what's on Active.

On fresh install inactive is blank.

When you upgrade, install ES or patch, the install is done on Inactive, then you need to switch the partition to use that new version.

The above keeps happening until you do a fresh install. You keep switching and you can also switch back to the N-1 version you had.

Yes, you install on inactive while CUCM is still running. Still the advise is to do this afterhours or during maintenance windows.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate