Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 5.1.3 to 8.6.X

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Its possible to make the upgrade directly from version 5.1.3 to 8.6.X?

If dont what is the best upgrade path?

Thanks

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
7 Replies 7

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi leonardo,

This will have to be a "two-hop" upgrade path or maybe three depending on what

exact 5.1(3) version you are upgrading. If it's something like 5.1(3f) then you could move

to something like 7.1(3b) as an interim step and then on to 8.6. The 8.6 upgrade is

a bit more complicated due the "Refresh" steps involved so make sure you take these

steps into account when planning. I wouldn't attempt to do all this in one fell swoop....

.......but that's just me

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Chris and Rob,

I will export all the configs (css, partition, etc....), licenses, and i will format the servers and install the CUCM 8.6 from scratch. We will use jabber too...

Regards

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Hi i have same issue. i have CM 5.1.3 with MCS7815I2  server. looks like i cant do the direct upgrade to CUCM 8.6. but an other question here regarding licences. Can i transfer the licences during the upgrade??? or would i need to purchase new licences as CUCM uses 8.6 User connect licences while 5.1.3 supports DLU.

Thanks

Khan

If you have a valid UCSS contract with Cisco you can have the license re-hosted.

You need to order the upgrade media and license PAK through cisco.com/upgrade and then once you receive the PAK register that with the new MAC address.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

we dont have valid UCSS contract, so, will have to go for new installation.

Regards

Khan

If you do not have UCSS then unfortunately you are not entitled to an upgrade and you will need to purchase the licenses, there have been some good promos out there so I suggest you contact your re-seller (gold partner) for a quote.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: