Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 9.1.2 to 10.5

mesut ozcan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have tested upgrading CUCM from 9.1.2 to 10.5 in my lab. As i read before, we need some cop files to upload to CUCM before upgrade procedure.

Cisco named this upgrade as <Refresh Upgrade> and during this process, RHEL version will also upgrade with CUCM version.

On my test, i dont upload any cop file before upgrade. Just uprade to 10.5 version.

Before upgrade my RHEL version was 5(32 bit) and after upgrade it is 6(64 bit).

After upgrade, everything seems ok but upgrade took lots of time, like 4 hours.

During upgrade there is no connection to CUCM and i saw blue screen :)

What is your opinion? Will this method work on customer enviroment?

Do you test this procedure before?

Best Regards,

Mesut

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mesut,

I have never upgraded from CUCM 9 to 10 but did a migration from CUCM 7 to 9 which took almost 7 hours for one single server .So, if u have two servers in a cluster, your time would be app.13-14 hours which of course would depend on your DB /configs.

Further,I was checking upgrade path for cop files, but I did not find any such requirement to upload cop file prior to upgrading CUCM 10 from 9.1.2

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need any cop files to go from 9.X to 10.X. You need refresh cop file when going from version 8.5 or below to newer version.

Upgrade duration depends on hardware you are using it should take 2-4 hours for the publisher depending on hardware and versions. While servers are upgrading in inactive partition the actual down time should not be all of this time.

This process or using Prime deployment is the way to go about it, however don't forget to install new 10.X license and upgrade ELM to PLM if it's a separate standalone server.

Chris

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mesut,

I have never upgraded from CUCM 9 to 10 but did a migration from CUCM 7 to 9 which took almost 7 hours for one single server .So, if u have two servers in a cluster, your time would be app.13-14 hours which of course would depend on your DB /configs.

Further,I was checking upgrade path for cop files, but I did not find any such requirement to upload cop file prior to upgrading CUCM 10 from 9.1.2

regds,

aman

Hi Mesut.

My collegues are right +5 both

No cop file needed to upgrade from 9 to 10 and I can confirm it cause I did this kind of upgrade two times last month on large customer environment

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Dear Carlo & Chris, May I ask you to clarify on below comment which is mentioned in Release note of CUCM 10.5  

I don't understand why Cisco has mentioned this, if its not required ? I would appreciate your any inputs. 

Preupgrade COP File

If you are upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.5(1), or later, from a release earlier than Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.0(1), you must download and install ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn on every node in the cluster. This Cisco Options Package (COP) file has the RSA keys that are required to validate the upgrade. Missing RSA-3 keys will result in status errors in the Software Installation/Upgrade window of the Cisco Unified Operating System Administration interface.

Suresh

i want upgrade CUCM cluster 10 to 11.

Did you review the upgrade guide and release notes and have a specific question on the upgrade?

sorry, duplicate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need any cop files to go from 9.X to 10.X. You need refresh cop file when going from version 8.5 or below to newer version.

Upgrade duration depends on hardware you are using it should take 2-4 hours for the publisher depending on hardware and versions. While servers are upgrading in inactive partition the actual down time should not be all of this time.

This process or using Prime deployment is the way to go about it, however don't forget to install new 10.X license and upgrade ELM to PLM if it's a separate standalone server.

Chris

Do i need to re-generate licenses for PLM? Scenario is from 9.1.2 to 10.5, PLM is not stand-alone.

Mesut

Hi Mesut,

For getting the correct licenses for PLM you need to open a case with the TAC licensing team. They will require some screenshots and details from your ELM / PLM setup and issue you the correct licenses.

HTH

Manish

Thank you Manish,

Mesut

Hi Mesut,

In addition to what Manish has said,u can also refer the link and figure 2 for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051.pdf

regds,

aman

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

Trying to update this thread for recent changes.  

If you are moving up to version 10.5 from ANY previous version, you need to load the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn#sthash.nuNtrck7.dpuf COP file.  10.0 won't require this, but 10.5 does.  

i only installed the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn and performed a refresh upgrade from 9.1.2 to 10.5.1

Dear Habib

I´m going to a upgrade from 9.1.2 to 10.5.1 and do you don´t need update de vm to red hat 64-bit and to change the network adapter to VMXNET3 ??

TIA
Cristian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: