Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUCM upgrade with same MCS 7825I3 server

Hi all,

We have a scenario where we need to upgrade existing CUCM cluster (7.0.2.20000-5) to latest version (9.1.2).

We have one publisher and one subscriber with 700 IP phones.

One valid upgrade path is 7.0.2.20000-5 --> 8.0.3 --> 9.1.2  

Upgrade will be on same hardware server 

I'm trying to do the upgrade at a minimal downtime. Existing deployment is with security enabled (calls are encrypted inbetween).

My opinion about the upgrade step is to

1. Upgrade the publisher from 7.0.2 to 8.0.3 (During this time production IP phones will be registered to subscriber)

2. Again upgrade the 8.0.3 publisher to 9.1.2

3. Apply the .cop files

4. Apply the reuqired licenses (now the publisher is readdy with new database)

5. Upgrade the subscriber with the same steps

How long the approximate down time would be and what are the other important factors to consider??

Your thoughts will be really helpful.

Regards

Kajen

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

The upgrade from 8.x to 9.1 is a major upgrade and that takes a long time..about 21/2 hrs..So I will say everything could take upto 4 hrs.

Another thing to consider is that your phones once on 9.1 will upgrade their firmwares and depending on WAN link, user size that could take some time too.

You can mitigate this by installing the cop file for the phone firmware on 9.1 on your current cucm version. You can do that overnight at some point. This will eliminate the need for the phones to upgrade their firmware once they are on 9.1, thereby introducing another down time period.

Also dont forget that on MCS7825-I3 you need a minimum of 4GB of RAM for CUCM 9.1

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"
Cisco Employee

Re: CUCM upgrade with same MCS 7825I3 server

You upgrade all servers at the same time. You cannot leave a SUB on 7.x and upgrade the PUB all the way to 9.x and then do the SUBs

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
6 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

The upgrade from 8.x to 9.1 is a major upgrade and that takes a long time..about 21/2 hrs..So I will say everything could take upto 4 hrs.

Another thing to consider is that your phones once on 9.1 will upgrade their firmwares and depending on WAN link, user size that could take some time too.

You can mitigate this by installing the cop file for the phone firmware on 9.1 on your current cucm version. You can do that overnight at some point. This will eliminate the need for the phones to upgrade their firmware once they are on 9.1, thereby introducing another down time period.

Also dont forget that on MCS7825-I3 you need a minimum of 4GB of RAM for CUCM 9.1

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

Thank you for the response aokanlawon

Yes, I have confirmed the hardware details. During the 7.0.2 to 8.X upgrade , licenses aren't applied and after 9.1 upgrade only we apply the license. And We need to upgrade the cluster , first publisher to 8.X and then sub to 8.X . As a second stage, we then upgrade publisher from 8.X to 9.1 and sub too to build the new cluster.

So all this upgrade period we might experience the phones outage!!!

And as you said need to be aware of phone firmware update.

VIP Super Bronze

You can mitigate this by disabling the tftp service on your tftp server before the upgrade. This will prevent the phones from upgrading their firmware. When your upgrade is completed you will then reactivate the service

Cisco Employee

You upgrade all servers at the same time. You cannot leave a SUB on 7.x and upgrade the PUB all the way to 9.x and then do the SUBs

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Thanks Jaime for the input,

Yes i missed that point. Every major upgrade it has to move along with the same cluster version.

HI Raulkajen,

Good day to you.

I am also planning to do the same upgrdae version from 7.0.2.20000-5 to 9.1. with MCS -7825-I3

Could you please detail the steps which you followed the steps for the upgrade and by the by our voice traffic also encrypted.

For better understanding please follow the url which I posted in Support community.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4094843#4094843.

I do have 146 GB harddisk for my MCS is that sufficient ?

I would really appreciate if you can share the step by step procedure which you followed for the upgrdation.

Lokking forward to hear from you......

Thanks & Regards

Nithin Louis.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content