cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCMBE 6.0 TFTP - cnf files nowhere to be found

allenelson
Level 1
Level 1

The following is from the document "IP Phones are Unable to Download the IP Phone Load from TFTP" which is pre 5.0 related. This troubleshooting step seems to not apply to Linux versions. How can i locate the phone configuration files?

Problem

After a Cisco CallManager upgrade, some of the IP phones do not boot up completely. They are stuck in various states of the boot process that include "Configuring CM List" and "Upgrading Software". The IP phones also do not register with the Cisco CallManager and display the .cnf.xml files cannot be located error message.

Solution

Complete these steps to resolve this problem:

Open the Cisco CallManager Administration page.

Select Service > Service Parameters.

Select the CallManager server and choose Cisco Tftp for the service.

Click Advanced.

Set these parameters under Clusterwide Parameters (parameters that apply to all servers):

Set the value for Build CNF Files* to Build All.

Note: When you set the Build CNF Files service parameter to Build All, the TFTP server builds both .cnf.xml and .cnf format configuration files for all devices. When you set this service parameter to Build None, the TFTP server builds only .cnf.xml files for all devices. When this parameter is set to Build Selective, which is the default value, the TFTP server builds .cnf.xml files for all devices. It also builds .cnf files only for a select list of devices that do not support .cnf.xml.

Set the Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup parameter to False.

Set the Enable Caching of Configuration Files parameter to False.

Note: By default, Enable Caching of Configuration Files is set to True. When this parameter is set to True, all the CNF and XML files are built and kept only in memory. When this parameter is set to False, TFTP writes all the CNF and XML files to the disk under the TFTP path C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath. It can take a long time to write these files to the disk if a large number of devices exist in the network. Therefore, set the Enable Caching of Configuration Files parameter to False to reduce the performance of the TFTP server.

Restart the Cisco TFTP service. Complete these steps:

Select Application > Cisco CallManager Serviceability > Tools > Control Center.

Click on the Cisco CallManager server, choose Cisco TFTP and click Restart.

Note: You are now able to see the configuration files for the devices in C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath.

5 Replies 5

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Those are on the TFTP folder in CUCM, you will need to see them either from CLI "file list tftp /" or from the OS Administration page "TFTP Management"; but if what you want is to get a configuration file from one phone, ona Windows PC execute the following command:

TFTP GET SEP.cnf.xml

The TFTP command will store the "SEP.cnf.xml" configuration file on the same path as where the command was executed.

Hope this helps!

I apologize for not being 100% clear. Let me translate the subject into what I intended it to say:

CUCMBE 6.0 TFTP - cnf files nowhere to be found

TFTP stands for the TFTP directory. cnf files nowhere to be found means they are not listed under CM-OS Administration-Software-TFTP Server nor CLI, "file list tftp /".

Could someone with a business edition server please comment. I would hate to open a TAC case over something so petty.

Allen,

Go to system >> Service Parameters.

- Select the TFTP server from the drop-down menu.

- Select the Cisco TFTP service from the service drop-down menu.

- Click on Advanced.

- Change the following options and the save the configuration:

- Build CNF Files: Build All

- Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup: False

At this point, the next time that an IP Phone is connected to the network CCM will build and store the CNF/XML files on the TFTP folder.

The Build All option will build the CNF and XML files for the phones while disabling caching will force CCM to build the file every time that there is a configuration change.

You can use the Windows command that I have previously posted in order to get a copy of the CNF or XML file.

Hope this helps!

I have already done this. Again, you cannot see the files. I know they are there somewhere because obviously the phones download them. My question is why can't you see them? In older versions of call manager they were visible, which is no longer the case.

When manually editing a cnf file i need to know where to place it so the phone can download. Uploading to the root directory has no effect on the phones update.

I also have this problem - any news

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: