cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME 8 and SIP Phones

david-lima
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all, I'm planning to install a Cisco 2921 with 40 Cisco SCCP IP Phones, and I would like to add at  least 5 third SIP Phone. Do I need to purchase the sip phone licence to enable the "voice register global" function in the CME.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Best regards

David.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As mentioned above, CME does not enforce phone licenses in any manner.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no phone license enforcement in CME.

You will find licensing requirements in data sheet and other marketing material.

Note, generally speaking, third party SIP phones are not a so good idea, because they do not support any feature, and do not integrate nicely with the rest of the system.

Hi Paolo, thanks for your answer. I found the license "SW-CCME-UL-3PSIPS=", is it necessary to buy to activate at least one third SIP Phone (SPA Phone) for testing purpose.

Thanks again and best regards.

David

As mentioned above, CME does not enforce phone licenses in any manner.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Thanks again for your time Paolo.

Best regards.

David

A more accurate statement would be "CME does not perform any license enforcement yet." Obviously if you choose to put the SIP phones into production you would want to purchase licenses for legal reasons.

j.schulenberg wrote:

A more accurate statement would be "CME does not perform any license enforcement yet." Obviously if you choose to put the SIP phones into production you would want to purchase licenses for legal reasons.

Actually that is not also an accurate statement, because on the ISR G2 routers, the UC license needs to be enabled using a key.

And, on the UC5xx (that is CME 100%), there are various key-based upgrade licenses available.

Strictly regarding phone licenses, do you have insight information, or are only speculating ?

Finally I am dubious about the correctness of Cisco approach to third-party SIP phones on CME.

They are not officially supported, not even the linksys or Small business ones, yet Cisco requires a license to run something no supported !?!

The correct statement about Cisco and Third party SIP phones is:

"Cisco does support SIP  third party IP Phones, The level of VERIFIED integration between third party SIP phones and CUCME,/CUCM depends of the certification provided by tekvizionlabs". Cisco will only recognize what tekvizionlabs certified and the features that tekvizionlabs certified.

As on any IPT protocols in the market today, basic features are fully standardize but more advanced  (like more than 3 conference in a conference slot) are PBX dependant and are not standardize at all. Same happened in legacy PBX when a digital IP phones was not compatible between PBXs.

The CUCM architecture is heavily dependant on phone firmware features (and RTP direct streaming)  trying to avoid scalability issues of old PBXs, but this came with a lesser compatibility and a heavily dependance on Phone firmware.

Also, Cisco makes its money on selling IP Phones, if you know what i mean: All are compatible but mine are MORE compatible than the rest. Fair game.

Hey Paolo!!

About this post, I read that ISR G2 have feature license enforcemen through key code.. I also read the article on Cisco.com but I only have one doubt regarding CME...

I found the license features of the G2 Routers here!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9001238

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hugo,

sorry but your question infers the intention of using phones without the required license.

For this reason, please excuse me if I refrain to answer it.

No problem Paolo, I understand..

Thanks for your reply though!

aryandav_bali
Level 1
Level 1

I have to setup CUCME 9.0 to run SCCP IP-Phones and to run ATA-187 (SIP-based). And over ATA-187 I have to connect FAX machines.

In order to make a call from FAX-machines (Connected over ATA-187) to PSTN cloud do i need to purchase CUBE license.

As the call conversion will be from SIP to H.323.

No, for ucme only you do not need the cube licenses.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thank you sir