cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME/CUE IP Phone Time Issues

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

My question is regarding CUCME and CUE and getting the correct time to display on the phones, for voicemail timestamps, and the CME system time.

I've done a number of CME/CUE installs and it seems that this is always an issue, albiet one that I can usually get working.

Is there an in depth article that anyone is aware of that explains how ntp/system time works between a CME router, CUE, and the ip phones?

I have found different solutions but it's always trial and error and I'd like to know if I'm just missing something.

For instance, the system I'm working on now I had to configure an external NTP server and two different tries for phone firmware, and set the timezone under telephony-service on the CME router.

Other times when an external NTP server is not available I could set the CME router as the NTP master.  This has worked sometimes, and sometimes not.

I don't want to analyze each instance, but get a better understanding of what's going on in the ios that makes getting the correct time so difficult

Thanks,  and I apologize if this sounds like a rant.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's simple!

1. Configure TZ and Summer-time (if necessary) on your CME router

2. Configure NTP (maybe NTP Server as preference 1, Local NTP Server as preference 2 with higher stratum)

3. Configure 'time-zone' command under telephony-service, and 'time-format', 'date-format' if necessary,

4. Must define phone type under each ephone (like 'type 7961' or 'type CIPC' etc),

5. While initializing CUE it will ask for NTP server, configure it properly.

HTH.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

That's simple!

1. Configure TZ and Summer-time (if necessary) on your CME router

2. Configure NTP (maybe NTP Server as preference 1, Local NTP Server as preference 2 with higher stratum)

3. Configure 'time-zone' command under telephony-service, and 'time-format', 'date-format' if necessary,

4. Must define phone type under each ephone (like 'type 7961' or 'type CIPC' etc),

5. While initializing CUE it will ask for NTP server, configure it properly.

HTH.

Those are the steps I've followed in the past.  I guess it's just a matter of fnding the correct firmware.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: