Views
Helpful
Replies

DB Restore procedure clarification

k.dimitrovski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We recently had HW problem on our Publisher. After that we had to replace the HDD of the publisher node and now we have to do Restore from backup.

We installed a fresh copy of CUCM 7.0.2 and tried to restore the backup "offline" (connected only a laptop to the server for SFTP). The restore procedure failed and I have attached the log.

Now we need some clarification about the restore procedure:

1. Does the restore need to be done "online" in the working LAN where the current Subscriber is or we can do it "offline" (without connectivity to DNS, NTP and GW).

2. Is there a possibility when we connect the newly installed server in the "online" environment (because it has the same IP, hostname and DB repl. password) a synchronization to occur between this new publisher and the old subs.

3. Can we do a restore only to the publisher server and not on all other subs.

Best regards,

Konstantin

7 Replies 7

k.dimitrovski
Level 1
Level 1

One more question, do we need to configure the parameters on the newly installed server fof both of the nodes in: System -> Server, System -> Cisco Unified CM and System -> Cisco Unified CM Group?

In other words do we need to configure the Cluster on the new server or it will be done by the restore process?

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

1. Yes. The pub needs to be on-line.

2. If you mean: If we connect a fresh installed box to the network with the settings of the pub, will it sync to/from the subs ? No. The pub will only sync with subs it knows about. As, at this stage, it knows about no subs, it will sync with no one. (CUCM DB Replication is master/slave type replication, not a multi-master system)

3. Yes, you can. Once you've restored the pub and rebooted, you then need to reboot the subs. After this reboot, the subs will re-download their local copy of the DB from the master. Subs only have a read-only copy of the DB. The pub is where all writes to the DB occur.

4. No. Configure nothing, and just do the restore.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

When you perfrom a restore in a cluster you need to perform the restore on all the servers in the cluster starting from the first node, the publisher.

Before you restore a cluster, make sure that all nodes in the cluster are up and communicating with the first node. You must carry out a fresh install for the nodes that are down or not communicating with first node at the time of the restore.

When you perform your restore, you select the first node first. Once this is complete you then perform a restore on the subsequent nodes. Here is the DRS guide and the detailed procedure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/7_0_1/DRS_CUCM/drsag701.html#wp254901

Please rate all useful posts

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

Hi Gordon,

We just tried a restore on a fleshly installed CUCM server and it failed again.

Just to clarify, we connected the server in the live environment with no configuration done except the basic things requested in installation.

We haven't done any cluster config in System menu.

In attach, again, I'm sending the CCMDB restore log.

The only thing we're not sure that is the config about NTP servers.

Any other clues why restore is failing?

Best regards,

Konstantin

I'm sorry, but I don't know why your restore isn't working. I've done several CUCM restores myself, and not had any problems.

You may need to consider opening a TAC case.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

Is the server hardware you backed up from different from the one you are trying to restore to?

Is the CUCM version on the backup the same as the one you are trying to restore to. I see this in your log

cucm1_ccm7_0_2_20000_5.

Is the version the same as your current cucm server?

There is a thread similar to the problem you are having.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/299966

"There is a wideness in God's mercy Like the wideness of the sea.There's a kindness in His justice Which is more than liberty"

Hi aokanlawon,

The versions of the CUCM are completely the same (the one that you specified).

Also we are using completely same hardware, only the HDD is changed with a new one. The hardware is MCS 7816-I3.

Best regards,

Konstantin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: