cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp issue for phone

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Im having an issue getting dhcp to work with my ip phones. can someone help and see what I did wrong? Thanks.

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.25.102.1 10.25.102.10

!

ip dhcp pool VOICE

network 10.25.102.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server 10.25.6.10

default-router 10.25.102.1

option 150 ip 10.25.100.10

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/0

switchport voice vlan 102

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/1

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/2

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/3

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/4

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/5

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/6

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/7

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/8

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 10.25.7.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan2

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Vlan102

ip address 10.25.102.1 255.255.255.0

26 Replies 26

wow, still no progress on this. Here is what I have found: From the router that is handing out dhcp, I can not ping anything on the phone vlan, including my laptop which I put a static ip address (in the voice vlan). If I look in the arp table, it will show the mac address of the static ip addressed assigned device, but can not ping it. If I do a tracert from the callmanager server, same thing, I get a response from the router, but not the last ip I should get (the device). Funny thing though, on the phone, it will show the voice vlan ID, but nothing else (unless I put a static ip on it). I have tried two different phone models, upgrade of IOS, putting voice vlan in the vlan database, setting ports to trunks, back to access ports, all advice above, etc. No clue at this point.

Try this:

1. show ip dhcp binding

2. clear ip dhcp binding

3. show ip dhcp conflict

4. clear ip dhcp conflict

5. term mon

6. debug ip dhcp server packet

7. debug ip dhcp server events

Regards,

John

From the config you have pasted it always looked like the DHCP Server and the phones are on hte same device, as in the switch is being used for DHCP. If the Router which handles DHCP does not host the phones, can you paste the config from the router for the port which is used to connect to the switch along with the config of the port on the switch. Looks like we have some issue with connectivity here as when you assign it an Static IP as well, nothing works.

Have you created the vlan 102 at a layer 2 level?

Yeah, have created the vlan 102. As far as the switch goes, it is part of the router. It is a hwicd-9esw module that fits in the 2811.

ahve you created the vlan 102 in the vlan databese of the router?

Router1#vlan database

Router1(vlan)#vlan 102

more info :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_configuration_example09186a00808066b8.shtml

Yeah, have created vlan in vlan database.

if you have an HWIC, I dont think VLAN interface would work. An HWIC only works as an Layer 2 Device, therefore the VLAN interface would not really work. Can you check the output of the following 2 commands:

1. show ip interface brief. Does this command show vlan 102 with the Status of UP/UP ??

2. show ip route on the router. It should show an route to this IP Subnet as directly connected.

If the above 2 do not work, then I guess you will have to assign the IP Address to a Physical Interface and then try.

tried both. up and up for vlan and routes show directly connected for that ip scheme. Cisco has forwarded me to 4 different departments at this point. This must really be a complex issue. I appreciate everyones persistance in helping and ideas. Keep em coming.

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

can you paste the output of "show ip route" and show vlan brief from the router

All, I did this: I made a dhcp scope for the data vlan (vlan1), and it picks up an ip from that vlan and the phone actually works fine. But, its not on the right vlan at this point and I cant get it to get dhcp from the voice vlan. Any ideas?

All, problem is solved. Here is what I had to do to get the phone to get an ip from the voice vlan pool:

interface FastEthernet0/1/3

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and persistence. I really appreciate the help on this.