Helpful
Replies

dial peers vs route patterns

user-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a concept missing :

what is the relationship between route patterns defined on CCM, and dial peers on gateway if h323 for example is the gateway control protocol, i mean if a user dials an external number (local,national,mobile,...) of course there should be a route pattern to match this dialed number, now what is the function of dial peers in this case for outgoing calls, and for incoming calls which one exactly does the match, the dial peer or the route pattern on ccm?

please help

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Simply put, the dial-peers and such is a configuration confined to the router. The CCM has no control on that and the router can take his own decision on how to route once receive the call.

Someone doesn't like that much intelligence in the gateway and also for simplicty configures MGCP so that is the CCM that control directly the POTS resources.

so can i say that if i choose h323 as a gateway control protocol there is no need to add any route pattern on ccm, just what i have to add is the gateways themselves ..

is this right?

if so then the dial plan control as a whole will be confined to the gateways !!

I'm not very familiar with CM but I believe thet router pattern, search spaces, translations etc are very useful tools if you know how to use them.

Ditto for the router, altought it uses different terms and tools.

You will need at least one route pattern in CCM to direct calls to the h.323 gateway. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094636.shtml

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

thanks Brandon and p.bevilacqua

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: