Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial Plan Issue and Advice

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Guys,

I know one of you will be able to tell me if this is workable or not so here goes....

Requirement

To use the full PSTN number when calling another office, with the call being routed on net and in the event of failure being rerouted over the PSTN.

For example extension 1234 (01315551234) in Edinburgh will call Glasgow extension 4321 the caller would dial 901415554321 or select the user from the corporate directory, which will have the full pstn number entry, and select dial.

The CallManager would match this against the Route Pattern (note the dot placing) 90141555.4XXX (this can be made even more specific but is used here as an example). This would be a closer match than the entry in the route filter text file which will have 0141XXXXXXX so in effect should take precedence. Or do the route filters take precedence no matter what?

The route pattern will then strip the 90141555 from the number using the Called Party Transformation Disgard digits set to PreDot and append 510 from the called Party Transform Mask making the number 5104321 and send the call on-net.

The reason for the prefix is because we have overlapping dial plans each region requires a prefix to differentiate between identical numbers and we need all number to talk to each other. This will in turn also help when a gatekeeper is deployed for intercluster calls

The 5104321 is then matched against a translation pattern that has a partition in the Glasgow phones partition, the translation pattern then removes the 510 and the call rings on the extension 8621. The incoming call will show their full number 901315551234 so it can be returned using the same manner

In the event of lack of bandwidth between sites then AAR will be configured so that the call routes out over the PSTN, in the event of WAN failure SRST will be used.

The other alternative is to use multitenant setup 510XXXX for Glasgow and 514XXXX for Edinburgh, and use the CSS and PTs in the correct fashion, I know this solution works but we want to try and keep calling between offices to the full PSTN number with inter office using the 4 digit extension only. Hence the reason the first option is what I have explained as an enhancement to the mutlitenant solution

Three questions to this really

1.Will this work?

2.If so how do I apply a gateway or a trunk to the route pattern as a trunk is usually used for inter cluster not intra cluster bearing in mind I want to keep it on net? Is there a way to create a dummy gateway in the same manner you can create the CTI port for dummy phones?

3.Am I approaching this incorrectly and don't bother with route patterns and use translations only but I see more issues this way?

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Route patterns will not work in this situation as their purpose is not to massage digits but rahter send the call out to external system (i.e. PSTN) and digits may be massaged along the way.

Here is what you need to do to accomplish what you want:

1. make the extensions full 10 digits, or you can utilize TPs for translations

2. Create a translation pattern that matches your internal numbers, i.e 9.01315554XXX, this TP needs to strip PreDot, hence deliver the call to the phone DN.

3. On the phone DNs configured call forward unregistered to point to it's DDI, and inclue the 9, make sure the Calling Search Space assigned to call forward unregistered does not have access to the tranlsation pattern, but rahter a route pattern pointint to PSTN.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: