We just purchased 50 new DID numbers, ***-***-4000 to 4049. We also have some internal extensions in the 4000 to 4049 range. When I tried to set up new Translation Patterns incoming calls were sent to the extension that has the same last 4 numbers as the last 4 of the DID, not the extension I put into the Called Party Transform Mask field. I have been told that by setting up new Partitions and Calling Search Spaces we can work around this, but even then there are some issues calling internally from one Partition to another.
I am new to this, so I am wondering if there is an easier solution, or if I would be better off just changing internal extensions that conflict with DID numbers.
If at all possible I would change the Internal Extensions to something new so that the new DID's can match (fully). You are just setting yorself up for a world of pain and confusion otherwise. Don't forget there may be Voicemail considerations here as well.
Hope this helps! Just my thoughts here :)
"May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young "
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
[toc:faq]CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers
and partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to
properly assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue
without involving TAC. This document discusse...