Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Did I kill my 7941G?

I just bought this phone used, and plan to use it via the Asterisk software.  I connected it to an ethernet port and once it had an IP address from my router I sent my browser there to see what was up. It appeared to have a lot of stuff pre-configured (boeing.com URLS and such) and a preset IP for a couple of communications managers, and I couldn't find any way to change the values in there, so I decided I should do a "total hard reset" to get it back to out-of-the-box.

I held down the # button until the two amber lights to the right of the main display started blinking, entered the hard reset code, and they started blinking red. Then everything went blank and now nothing happens at all when I power it off and on again; no boot, no lights, nothing.

Did I kill the phone?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES

Did I kill my 7941G?

An addendum: when I power it back on the speaker light glows green for a minute or so, then the two amber lights to the right of the main display each blink once, then no lights at all.

Cisco Employee

Did I kill my 7941G?

Hi Mark,

Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:

The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.

A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.

You can configure a switch to provide DHCP and the option 150.  Make sure that is configured and you phone will recieve an IP then look to the TFTP for config files.

Regards,

Anthony

Did I kill my 7941G?

Hi, Anthony,

The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.

A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.

You can configure a switch to provide DHCP and the option 150.  Make sure that is configured and you phone will recieve an IP then look to the TFTP for config files.

My router serves DHCP, yes, but I don't understand the second part. TFTP server? What are option 150 and 66? My router is an Apple Airport Extreme.

Cisco Employee

Did I kill my 7941G?

Hi Mark,

Option 150 and 66 are actually the same thing, it depends on what vendor you use that will determine if you use 150 or 66.  Here is a config of what my switch has:

ip dhcp pool voip-lab-Anthony

network 14.129.4.160 255.255.255.224

default-router 14.129.4.161

option 150 ip 14.128.60.171

In this case 14.128.60.171 is my Call Manager that has all the config files for my phones.

Regards,

Anthony

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content