cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disaster recovery

marasiganm
Level 1
Level 1

we already have failover configured for both Unity and Call Manager, do i still need to configure disaster recovery? can somone give me scenario fo when i might need to restore unity or cm files? Thanks.

Marlon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marlon,

I'm sure others here will weigh in as well

Setting up DRS to save backups off is a must in my opinion. There are

some times (god forbid) that having a DRS backup copy to use for a full

restore is the only mechanism to save your existing build without

a complete re-build. If you lose the Publisher server the only way to recover

is by using the restore process. You cannot recover any data from the Subscriber

dB that will help in this instance.

Just my 2 cent$

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

About two months ago I know an office that ended up getting water into their server room and it destroyed the pub and both subs and the Unity servers. They now do the backups and they were not doing them before, instead of having new hardware up and running in less than a days time it took 8 people 4 days working 24/7 to add in 2400 phones and 30 gateways along with that many subscribers and hundreds of call handlers not to mention all the specifics for hunt pilots etc in call manager, and there are still things missing configuration wise. DR is a must no matter how small the install.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marlon,

I'm sure others here will weigh in as well

Setting up DRS to save backups off is a must in my opinion. There are

some times (god forbid) that having a DRS backup copy to use for a full

restore is the only mechanism to save your existing build without

a complete re-build. If you lose the Publisher server the only way to recover

is by using the restore process. You cannot recover any data from the Subscriber

dB that will help in this instance.

Just my 2 cent$

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. Is that the same case with Unity? Our voicemail messages storage is in Exchange which we back up. I'm thinking that if one of our two Unity servers goes down, we can just rebuild it from scratch while the voice service continues on the 2nd Unity. Does that makes sense? Thanks

Marlon

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

About two months ago I know an office that ended up getting water into their server room and it destroyed the pub and both subs and the Unity servers. They now do the backups and they were not doing them before, instead of having new hardware up and running in less than a days time it took 8 people 4 days working 24/7 to add in 2400 phones and 30 gateways along with that many subscribers and hundreds of call handlers not to mention all the specifics for hunt pilots etc in call manager, and there are still things missing configuration wise. DR is a must no matter how small the install.

Thanks Tracy.

CM and Unity 7.0 come with their own disaster recovery system, basically using SFTP server for storage. What SFTP server would you recommend?

Thanks,

Marlon

I use a program called freeFTPd. Its very reliable and easy to use and setup. It has both an SFTP and FTP server built in.

Cool! Thanks Tracy

marasiganm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All.

I'd like to change my cisco community username and email address here, but seems I don't have option to do it when I go to Edit Profile, is that because my account is new? Thanks

Hey Tracey,

If that story doesn't make you do backups nothing will ...YIKES!

+5 for sharing this insight

Marlon,

At the top of this page click on "Feedback" and send the details

of the change to the GREAT moderators here.

And for your SFTP question have a look at this fantastic Blog from Bill Bell;

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/which-windows-sftp-server-should-i-use-for-my-cisco-uc-appliance-how-about-copssh.html?blogger=William+Bell

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob, nice article re sftp