Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMA Compatibility

Need to confirm if the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) is compatible with Callmanager 4.2(3). The cut-off used to be CM 4.1, but I noticed the Compatibility Matrix now shows it as compatible with 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

I should probably let someone else reply as you are probably sick of me :( But the change comes about due to the newer CCM 6.x releases. With CCM 5.x there was a restriction that 4.2 could not be upgraded to this train (thus no DMA support). With the release of CCM 6.0(1)this restriction against 4.2 was removed (but I beleive 4.3 was still not supported) so now DMA also supports CCM 4.2.

CCM 4.3 is still not supported for Upgrade to 5.x or 6.x as far as I know. The paths to 6.1 are shown in this link;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_1/cucm-rel_note-611a.pdf

Hope this helps! Take care,

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

I should probably let someone else reply as you are probably sick of me :( But the change comes about due to the newer CCM 6.x releases. With CCM 5.x there was a restriction that 4.2 could not be upgraded to this train (thus no DMA support). With the release of CCM 6.0(1)this restriction against 4.2 was removed (but I beleive 4.3 was still not supported) so now DMA also supports CCM 4.2.

CCM 4.3 is still not supported for Upgrade to 5.x or 6.x as far as I know. The paths to 6.1 are shown in this link;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_1/cucm-rel_note-611a.pdf

Hope this helps! Take care,

Rob

Hey Rob - I'm certainly not sick of getting answers, even if it's from the same person. I read the PDF, but didn't see a reference to DMA other than a caveat and another misc note. I'll take your word for it and dig deeper into the 6.0(1) notes.

Regarding the Compatibility Matrix (non-UFO version), it shows DMA is compatible with 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3:

(sorry for the eye chart)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Versions 6.1(1a) 6.0(1a) 5.1(3) {See notes} 5.1(2) 5.1(1) 4.3(1) 4.2(3) 4.2(1) 4.1(3)

DMA

5.0(1) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

5.0(2) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

5.1(1) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

5.1(2) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

5.1(2a) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

5.1(3) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

6.0(1a) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

6.1(1a) NA NA NA NA NA Y Y Y Y

Hi Brian,

I see what you mean for sure (sad)! We know that there must be errors in this info even in the same doc we see that they are talking about DMA support but not Upgrade support when talking about the same CCM version (which I beleive is accurate);

6.1(1a)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades

6.0(1a), 5.1(3), 5.1(2), 5.1(1), 4.2(3), 4.1(3)

5.1(3)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades

5.1(2), 5.1(1), 5.0(4b), 4.1(3)

Yet Line 163 shows that DMA for 4.2(3) in Column 11 is supported even though we know that this upgrade from 4.2(3) to any 5.x version is impossible.

Stick with the Supported Upgrade Paths, I have not seen these wrong for as far back as I can remember :)

This is a very good doc that visually shows the upgrade paths (too bad it is not quite as new as we would like)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008086cc7c.shtml

Hope this helps! And makes some sense ;)

Rob

Rob,

Yep ... according to the 6.0(1) release notes:

Upgrade Paths to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.0(1)

You can upgrade directly to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.0(1) from these previous releases:

•4.0(2a)

•4.1(3)

•4.2(3)

•5.0(4)a

•5.0(4)b

•5.1(1)

•5.1(2)

(and the clincher ... as I'm upgrading a few clusters from 4.2(3))

Migrating from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.2(3) to 6.0(1)

When you migrate from Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 4.2(3) to 6.0(1), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco Unified Communications Manager nodes are calculated, and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will get generated during the Cisco Unified Communications Manager migration process. Cisco gives these licenses free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 4.2(3). If you are adding new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.0(1), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window that is on CCO. See the Upgrading Cisco Unified Communications Manager and the Data Migration Assistant User Guide for more information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: