cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I Need router? VG224 with IOS, DSP packed!!!

omair.siddiqui
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to connect analog phones on different branches. If i purchase VG-224 , it have IOS, i can define dail pattern, it have some builtin DSP's.

Now a question is raised that why i opt for router at first place if every thing is cater by my voice gateway. Whats your experience as i have never implemented it. Can i do routing, QOS and other voice feature or it. Or put in another way what additional feature i will get if i purchase router.

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Your VG224 is a Voice Gateway - it's really not meant for anything other than terminating FXS lines. You could consider it more of an endpoint than a router really.

You can't add or remove interfaces to it, and the IOS that's available for it will be limited to voice-type features.

A router will be capable of doing everything that the VG224 does, plus a huge amount of other stuff - so for a remote branch an ISR could be your WAN gateway, PSTN gateway, SRST fallback, and a lot of other things such as application compression etc..

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks your response is very helpful in general. Actually i want to educate my customer who is demanding this solution. I understand that NO CME/ No SRST No WAN itnerfaces, But other than what are the specific feature i can inform him ?

Hi

That's a very open question, and the list of things it can't do would be very long. I would take the other approach:

1) Ask your customer what they want something with 'Voice Gateway' in it's name to do.

2) Check on those specific features, or ask back here..

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: