Views
Helpful
Replies

DSP Farm profiles

rramlal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to have the following services provided for a centralised, multisite cucm 6 topology.

1. Callers at each site need to set up adhoc conferencing with participants located in other remote/local sites. For the most 5 persons per adhoc conference. Only 1 conference call at a time will be allowed.

The remote sites have been set up to use regions with codecs G729.

Can you advise what I need to configure.

I have read about the dspfarm profiles that consist of conferencing, transcoding and MTP but can someone explain for my scenario if all these different profiles will be required and the purpose they server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Transcoders are independent of Conferences and are needed when 2 devices cannot negotiate a common codec, i.e. if you hard code your conference profile to only one codec (i.e. G711) then in order for remote parties using G729 to join you would need a transcoder. Another common example is IP-IVR systems which can only be defined with one codec.  Phones do not need transcoders as they can neogotiate most codecs, also if you defined your conference profile with both codecs you will not need transocders.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a great document that outlines all you need, you can look for a similar doc for your IOS version as well, but there are not significant changes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/interop/intcnf2.html

HTH,

Chris

I read that document, however there are aspects that are not clear.

For instance what is the purpose of configuring a MTP profile if i already have a transcoding profile?

If i need a remote site to initiate a conference call with 4 participants located in other remote sites that all use regions g729 what dsp profiles will i need to configure?

I also have a router with the below configs for conferencing and when i tried to enable the voice card pri i get the error that there is only enough resources for 16 channels.

Can you advise why this is since no conferecing are in use, are the dsp profiles holding the resources?

sccp ccm group 1

bind interface GigabitEthernet0/0

associate ccm 1 priority 1

associate profile 101 register M2002-GW01-CONF

associate profile 102 register M2002-GW01-XCOD

associate profile 103 register MTP_M20-02

!

dspfarm profile 102 transcode universal 

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

maximum sessions 3

associate application SCCP

!

dspfarm profile 101 conference 

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

codec g729br8

maximum sessions 1

!

dspfarm profile 103 mtp 

codec g711ulaw

maximum sessions hardware 4

maximum sessions software 8000

!

!

You do not need any MTPs nor transcoders for conferencing, if you are limited with PVDMs (DSPs) you can defined conference profile with G711 codec only and use transcoders to transcode between phones at remote lcoations joining the conference, but if that is not a concern no need for Transcoders either.

Don't forget:

voice-card 0

dsp services dspfarm

And also ensure you build the SCCP configuration for CUCM integration and then build the conferecne bridge in CUCM with

M2002-GW01-CONF name.

Chris

Hi Chris,

when you speak of conferencing, are you referring to adhoc or a conference bridge?

Only adhoc conferencing will be required for this implementation. That being said my configurations will be:

Create a conference profile with codec G711--> with session 1 to allow G711 only participants.

Create a transcode profile with three sessions to allow participants from remote sites to be added to the conference call.

Please confirm if this is correct.

IOS conference you are building, to be used as ad-hoc and/or meetMe.

Your steps are accurate, but since you are building only one session dont worry about transcoders simply define G711 and G729 within the conference profile.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

However I have another query, if the conferencing is handled on the conference profile, what is the purpose for the transcoding profile. Can you give me an example of when this profile will be used?

Thanks

Transcoders are independent of Conferences and are needed when 2 devices cannot negotiate a common codec, i.e. if you hard code your conference profile to only one codec (i.e. G711) then in order for remote parties using G729 to join you would need a transcoder. Another common example is IP-IVR systems which can only be defined with one codec.  Phones do not need transcoders as they can neogotiate most codecs, also if you defined your conference profile with both codecs you will not need transocders.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you i think i finally have a clear understanding.

The moment you define maximum sessions X under a dspfarm profile you're automatically setting those DSPs/DSP channels aside for only that use. Wheter you're using them or not, this is not dinamically allocated that only when you need them the system will allocate them.

dspfarm profile 101 conference 

codec g711ulaw

codec  g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

codec g729br8

maximum sessions 1

associate application  SCCP

The moment you set that 1 session you reserved a whole DSP for conferencing only.

Depending on what PVDM2 modules you have and your needs your options to use more than 16 channels on the PRI are:

A) Remove non-used dspfarms or decrease the sessions

B) Add more PVDM2s

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate