Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DSP resources needed for conference

Hi All,

We have a central location with phones using G711 codecs and a remote location using G729 codec(64k Fr link). There is no remote voice gateway on the remote branch with DSP resources so we have to use the voice gateway on the central site.

My question is... when using the central router and defined as conference bridge using its dsp, will that do? Or do i need to define a transcoder as well?

I can't seem to understand if the conference bridge can mix the g711 and g729 codec or we have to define a transcoder to do that. Or maybe if it is possible to define only transcoder without the hardware conference bridge and have the g729 converted to g711 by the transcoder, then have the software conf bridge(callmanager) to do the conferencing of g711.

If the conference bridge can do the mixing of g711 and g729, then why do we need the transcoder for?

Most of the sample topology in cisco has a voice gateway on the remote site and i can't seem to find similar scenario that we have.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: DSP resources needed for conference

if you are using a Hardware/DSP based Conf Bridge, you dont need transcoder as the conference bridge supports g711 as well as g729. You need transcoder only if you are using S/W conf bridge as it only supports G711

5 REPLIES

Your question is a bit complicated. But i think the sample config below will help you.

voice-card 0

dspfarm

dsp services dspfarm

!

!

dspfarm profile 2 conference

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

maximum sessions 2

associate application SCCP

You should form a Cisco IOS Enhanced Conference Bridge on CallManager and associate the conference bridge name under "sccp ccm group 1" at voice gateway.

I hope this helps..

From your Response, it seems that you are saying that what i need only is a conference bridge and no transcoder needed.

Thanks,

Jeff

Gold

if you are using a Hardware/DSP based Conf Bridge, you dont need transcoder as the conference bridge supports g711 as well as g729. You need transcoder only if you are using S/W conf bridge as it only supports G711

I see. Now it is clear. Thanks for the info.

"You need transcoder only if you are using S/W conf bridge as it only supports G711"

I tried conference bridge a while ago. works fine.

I tried transcoder also but failed. Any ideas where i assign the transcoder to? What device pool do i configure the transcoder with? Which Media resource with transcoder do i assign the phone with, remote or central?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content