cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

+E.164 Dialing in CUCM 7.1.X

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Hi - I think i have (at last) got my head around the theory of the new dial plan aproach using +E.164 dialling, globalized and localized routing; but have a couple of question marks around how this ties in with a the phone DN and the Directory in deployment:

As we globalize on-net calls from abbreviated extensions e.g. dialling 51111 on-net, translates this called number to the full  +E.164 using a CSS, should we now address on-net endpoints with their DN as the full +E.164 number?  In respect to this, what should users be made aware of as their internal  extension? Should this still be, for example, internal 5 digit and let the CSS take care of ringing the +E.164 internal endpoint .  Also what is best practice for the corporate directory? should the phone number field be populated with the full +E.164 or the abbreviated extension?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

thks

Brian

17 Replies 17

The answer differs for each product.

Unity Connection:

• Use an Alternate Extension to get the E.164 number recognized.
  • The original extension field remains the abbreviated number format. If it's a large customer it may be the whole DN minus the plus character.

Contact Center Express:

• I have not attempted to set CTI Ports/Route Points or ACD DNs to E.164 format because Terry and Chris explicitly forbid it for any TAC support when I asked.
  • I have several customers on E.164 with CCX who do not localize CgPI information and it shows correctly in historical reports and CAD. There was a bug CSCtg90305 but I have seen this working again in 8.0(2).

Emergency Responder

You're on your own on this one. We use 911 Enable because CER is useless for 802.11-based deployments (which most of our deployments large enough to necessitate CER have).

Hi Jonathan,

We are having few issues when using E164 dialing. Customer site contains only 7940 ip phone model and it doesnt support + sign and the problem they are facing when they do a call back from the phone's directories and also dialing the corporate directory number which is also starts with + sign. When the phone dials any number which starts with +, it's not matching the either tranlsation pattern \+.! or the internal directory number (e164 format). I've read in some forms that we can use calling party transformation for call back as a work around but no detail explanation. Could you help us to find a workaround for this issue.

Thanks

Shine

I'm almost positive that if you apply a Calling Party Transformation CSS to the device of a 7940/7960 it will strip the plus from the missed and received calls directory. I don't have a 7940 handy to test this with but have done it in the past. I recognize this differs from newer phones who do not act the same way with CgPI transformations on the device. I believe that the CgPI transform adds an extra field in the SCCP packet to show the pre-transformed value but the 7940/7960 doesn't support this so it just takes transformed value (i.e. after stripping the plus).  Try it and see.

As for the corporate directory: You're screwed here. Deploy Jabber and do deskphone control.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: