Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

E164 dialplan Considerations

Hello All,

I'm deploying an E164 dial-plan for the first time. I will use SIP devices on CM 9.1. Phones are 6945 SIP with fw ver: SIP6945.9-3-1-5.

I decided to assign to each phone a directory number in the format \+390212309XXX.

I would also allow users to call each others by dialling 4 digits extensions. I chose 8 as VoIP prefix so each user is internally known as 8[25]XX. I configured a Translation Pattern for 8[25]XX translated to +390212309[25]XX in a dedicated PT accessible to all users.

841XX is my pattern to Unity Connection.

To sum up on the phone I have:

External phone number mask: +390212309XXX

Alerting/display ecc.: "Name 8[25]XX "

I also configured TP in another partition for short-numbers. In this case 83XXX. These short numbers are translated to PSTN numbers (such as: 03481234567 for mobile numbers).

My point is:

- Will I have overlap issues? I think no as far as no extensions in the range 83XX are assigned to directory numbers, right?

- When I dial 8[25]XX (for on-net calls) it seems that I hit inter-digit timeout

-I'm using 6945 SIP phones. Do I fix the interdigit issue using SIP Dial Rules? Something like: 8XXX as pattern

And last questions:

- Can you confirm I'm doing it good?

- Would you recommend using SIP phones?

- Would you do the E164 configuration in a different way? I mean pattern and DN assignment.

Thanks for ur attention

Lorenz

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com
Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY

E164 dialplan Considerations

Hi Lorenz,

I would assign the DNs a 4 digit number and use the E.164 number as the External Phone Mask (+390212309XXX)

Doing this you dont need to expand the 4 digits to the full E.164 number. However you will need to do this in reverse. E1.64 down to the 4 digit extension for Directory Dialing for example if you had Jabber in the environment or Lync for that fact.

TP

Called number: \+390212309[25]XX

Translated Number: 8XXX

VoiceMail ports: 841XX - This looks ok, I always try to allocate CTI Ports, VM Ports, Call Park numbers etc a non routable number for both the PSTN or Internal range. Otherwise you could hit the inter-digit timeout if one of those patterns or DNs are similar to extensions or PSTN numbers (with your Access Code).

I would look at configuring VM Ports to start with another digit away from '8'. So maybe configure the DN range to be 641XX.

Same with your TPs for mobile numbers. I would look at prefixing their extension with a 5 or something. So if a users extension is 8211 the fast code for their mobile would be 58211.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Ben

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content