cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Excessive accidental 911 calls solution needed

nmacleanPKI
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.. I'm looking for any suggestions as to how I would go about delaying a 911 call before it actually connects. We are running Call Manager version 4.1.3.. Users are accidentally dialing 911 on a daily basis and hanging up the phone immediately.. which causes a cruiser to show up everytime.. Is there a way to perhaps make it so there is 5 second or so delay before call connection?

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kmr
Level 1
Level 1

Below is something I received from the Richmond, VA SE last year. I think I just changed the timeout mentioned below and unchecked 'urgent priority' in CCM.

A New Solution to Misdialed 911 Calls in CallManager

I wanted to tell you all about a new idea discussed inside Cisco to deal with the "9 trunk access code" and "911 route pattern" issue that causes some users to continually mistakenly dial 911. Many of us have discussed rerouting the 911 calls to an internal security desk, but that has serious legal implications and requires the security desk to go through a state certification process. I have also never been a big fan of changing the trunk access code to something other than 9.

So what is the alternative? Understand that most of the calls are attempting to dial a long distance number (e.g. 9-1-XXX...) and accidentally hit that second 1. The issue is caused by the "urgent priority" check box on the 911 route pattern that immediately matches the pattern and routes the call without waiting for more digits. By unchecking this box, and turning down the TimerT302_msec service parameter for interdigit timeout to 5-6 seconds (a good practice regardless), we can give the user a few extra seconds to realize their mistake and hang up before connecting to the PSAP. Further, for users who blast right through dialing that long distance number, creating a 911X route pattern and setting it to block the call will provide a fast busy or annunciator message alerting users to their mistake, and hopefully classically conditioning them to change their behavior (thank you, Pavlov).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kmr
Level 1
Level 1

Below is something I received from the Richmond, VA SE last year. I think I just changed the timeout mentioned below and unchecked 'urgent priority' in CCM.

A New Solution to Misdialed 911 Calls in CallManager

I wanted to tell you all about a new idea discussed inside Cisco to deal with the "9 trunk access code" and "911 route pattern" issue that causes some users to continually mistakenly dial 911. Many of us have discussed rerouting the 911 calls to an internal security desk, but that has serious legal implications and requires the security desk to go through a state certification process. I have also never been a big fan of changing the trunk access code to something other than 9.

So what is the alternative? Understand that most of the calls are attempting to dial a long distance number (e.g. 9-1-XXX...) and accidentally hit that second 1. The issue is caused by the "urgent priority" check box on the 911 route pattern that immediately matches the pattern and routes the call without waiting for more digits. By unchecking this box, and turning down the TimerT302_msec service parameter for interdigit timeout to 5-6 seconds (a good practice regardless), we can give the user a few extra seconds to realize their mistake and hang up before connecting to the PSAP. Further, for users who blast right through dialing that long distance number, creating a 911X route pattern and setting it to block the call will provide a fast busy or annunciator message alerting users to their mistake, and hopefully classically conditioning them to change their behavior (thank you, Pavlov).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: