cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending POTS landline via VoIP - seeking correct product

coastalcruiser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. Just popping in for 1st time to get a second opinion on the solution I am formulating. Looks pretty serious in here. Please don't beat me up if this is a girli-man question. I am VoIP ignorant.

I have a simple need. I want to extend the range of a POTS line to a building that has no telephone wiring at all. I could use a high-powered long-range cosrdess phone, but gee, I just built a high-powered long-range wireless backbone to this building, so I started wondering if their was a solution to simply let me convert my analog line to VoIP, run the call through the IP backbone, and then convet back to Analog at the destination.

Looks like the wheel has been developed! If I place a Cisco SPA 2102 or 3102 at the source (landline), and a Linksys PAP2T at the destination (a user with an analog phone), will that do it?

I don;t need a VoIP provider (at least not for now). we are on satellite Internet here, and the 1-2 second latency makes VoIP a crapshoot. But I digress. Will above solution work? It's a $100 solution! Will it work? If not, what will?

Cheers

jim

2 Replies 2

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not familiar with those exact products but the concept is solid. You'll just need to get two devices, one on each end to convert the analog signals and transport them via IP. I would advise using VG20x routers as they provide the most flexibility and supportability.

-Felipe

dconstantino
Level 4
Level 4

VG202 or VG204

Two phones or four phones

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: