cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility (7960 type) fully compatible with 7962 hardware?

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have lots of 7960 phones deployed which all work really well. We have Ext Mobility overlaid on these, and staff can happily logout and login where they like with no issues.

We rolled some colour 7970 phones out a few years ago and found that users with Ext Mob profles (of device type 7960) were able to login to the 7970s, but lost all the line settings below line two (ie extra lines/shared lines/speed dials etc).  When they logged back onto a 7960 these lines re-appeared.

We tried to create 2, 4 and 6 line 7970 phone button templates, but these can't be asigned to users who have "Product Type: Cisco 7960" Ext Mob profiles...

I think we are facing a similar issue with the new 7962 IP phones.  All our Mobility accounts are 7960 type based.  Are these fully compatible with 7962 hardware...or would i need to create 'new' Ext Mob profiles for users of these new 7962 phones?   (Note that when you create an Ext Mob profile on CUCM 6.1 you must select a device type - and this cant then be altered it seems?)

What I'm concerned about is users with more than 2 lines logging in to a 7962 IP phone and not seeing all their other lines....it's as if the default profile for a 7962 login (if it detects an Ext Mob account of type 7960) is to allow just two lines to be displayed....?

(Pic attached)

Thoughts appreciated 

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The behavior your looking for is referred to as Feature Safe. The reason it isn't working for you is that the 7940/7960 models do not support it. Read this section of the features and services guide and reply with any lingering questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_2/ccmfeat/fsem.html#wp1386088

Your options:

• Configure a second device profile for each user for Feature Safe-supported phone models.
  • Tell the user they will loose these features when using other phone models.
  • Trade in the 7960 phones for something newer. The 79x2/5 models have come a long way since the 7960; this isn't as crazy of an idea as it sounds at first glance.
  • Use soft phones.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All you need to do is create default device profiles. The EM documentation explains all this and why they are required, short explanation, if you log into a device which is not equivalent or the right model you need one to define basic specs.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

We have a mix of staff all using 7960 phones and 7960 Ext Mob acounts.  Some have only 1 line. ther have up to 6 lines, some have a mix of lines and speed dials.

I can create a 7962 button template of any type (lets say 6 lines) and assign that to the "7962 Default Device Profile" settings.  However, wont that mean that (using 6 lines) anyone with speed dials will lose them when they login to the 7962?

Or will the fact that 6 lines is defined in the default setup for the 7962s mean that it will accept upto 6 lines/6 speed dials?

As best i can tell users with speed dials wouldn't see them, but users with up to 6 lines will see their additional lines with the setup i describe above...?

The behavior your looking for is referred to as Feature Safe. The reason it isn't working for you is that the 7940/7960 models do not support it. Read this section of the features and services guide and reply with any lingering questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_2/ccmfeat/fsem.html#wp1386088

Your options:

• Configure a second device profile for each user for Feature Safe-supported phone models.
  • Tell the user they will loose these features when using other phone models.
  • Trade in the 7960 phones for something newer. The 79x2/5 models have come a long way since the 7960; this isn't as crazy of an idea as it sounds at first glance.
  • Use soft phones.

Thanks Jonathan.  We are conducting some more testing to see how limited the cross-device useage is with 'fixed' type profiles.  We run over 1000 perfectly good 7960 IP phones so replacing them wont happen in one go.  But obviously we cant buy them 'new' anymore to replace damaged stock...

Users who only have 2 lines or a line and speed dial are totally fine - they can login to differing devices and lose no lines or their speed dial.   Users with more than 2 lines get issues...seemingly with the 7962 'Default Profile' now set to use a new '6-button-template' users with speed dials dont see them....but users with up to 6 lines on their 7960 profiles DO see those when they login to the 7962. So it's not as bad as i first thought.

Its a real shame that 'Feature Safe' cant be implemented for 7960 devices.....strikes me as an oversight by Cisco from v3.1(?) when Ext Mobility came online....  I often wondered why Ext Mobility profiles had to be based on a hardware type (ie 7960) - it didn't make much sense to me really.  I guess 'Feature Safe' addresses that limitation in CUCM v8.0 and newer model phones?

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: