Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility not working during fail over

leschij-ug
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I am John.   I have a cluster that has 2 subscribers and 1 publisher.  We are running 8.5.1.  Yesterday I had a case where my one subscriber had failed and everything failed over to the other subscriber.  Everything but extension mobility seemed to work.  I checked all my certs, I checked the services, I checked the url for the services.  Everything seemed to check out correctly.  The url is pointed to the publisher and the publisher was available. 

What i saw during failover:

When the services button was activated I received the requesting notice.  after a while the message changed to Host not found.  Then the next message was select service. 

I did a restart on the extension mobility service with no effect.  The other web applications (such as corp directory) all seem to be working correctly.  Extension Mobility is the only service I have running.

When the failover ended and my lost subscriber was available, extension mobility and the services started working again. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

John

Is your EM service only pointing to the sub which went down ? The best thing to do is point the URL to the Pub and turn on EM services all servers including the Pub if required or just the Sub`s. When the phone requests the EM service, it will go Pub due to the URL however the Pub will now redivert the request to a Sub. In the event of a Sub1 going down, the Pub will send the redirect to Sub2

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

John

Is your EM service only pointing to the sub which went down ? The best thing to do is point the URL to the Pub and turn on EM services all servers including the Pub if required or just the Sub`s. When the phone requests the EM service, it will go Pub due to the URL however the Pub will now redivert the request to a Sub. In the event of a Sub1 going down, the Pub will send the redirect to Sub2

Sreekanth Narayanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

As suggested by iptuser55, switch on the EM service on both the nodes. This is the only way failover would work. There are 2 services in CUCM, Extension Mobility and EMApp. The EMApp runs on all the nodes, and its job is to keep a list of the nodes with the EM service activated. When the top node in that list goes down, the EMApp will then point to the next node in the list, which will act as the Failover.

Here's the architecture of the EM service.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/uc8x/cmapps.html#wp1187822