Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Mobility

rod.blackie
Level 1
Level 1

Quick questions chaps.

I have CM 4.1 cluster with 5 sites, all site to site traffic break out at PSTN - no calls pass over the WAN. When I use extension mobility for user a at site a and got to site b and log into the phone (taking my number) when I place or recieve a call from site b do calls pass over the WAN to get to site a VOIP gateway? I can't figure this one out?

Thanks

Rod

5 Replies 5

karldbrooks
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Rob,

If you are using extension mobility and for a user at site A the route patterns in the partitions within their CSS send calls out of gateway A. If the user goes to site B and log in they still have the same CSS (assuming this is applied on their line) in which case as per their CSS the calls will still break out via gateway A at site A.

HTH

It all depends on the configuration of the CSS and where it is applied.

CSS- User based- The CSS of the Line, User determines which GW the calls go- Identify the Partitions in the users CSS and locate the Route for the Partition - is the Route Pattern set up as Allowed if it is, then set up is probably user based and so when they EM then the users will determine the GW and will probably go across the WAN.

Device Based- The CSS of the device determines the GW so even when EM is used, the local GW will be used. Repeat as above but the route pattern should be blocked then look in the CSS of the device and again locate the Route pattern probably a generic one such as 0.! or 9.! and will be allowed

hope it helps

Just want to concur with whats being said above, I always go for the device/line construct in this scenario. Download the Cisco SRND guide for CallManager and read the chapter on Extension Mobility, great section in there for CSS Device Line Construct and how it can help you here.

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the CSS in more detail. I resolved the question myself by doing some packet analysis on our network, bascally it goes over the WAN.

Many thanks.

Thanks Karl,

funny enough we have a support contract with you guy's (I work for Nuvia Ltd) so we might speak in the future.

Rod.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: