Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

External Scam Calls Appearing as Internal Calls

Just wondering if anyone has seen external scam calls (Airmiles, banks, cruises, etc) showing up as a call coming from an individual inside the company? I'm not sure if I understand how this could be possible unless a scam call reaches an internal number that is being call forwarded to another random internal number. That being said, the scam call should show up as the same internal employee every time in this instance.

Any ideas?

We're using Call Manager version 8.6.2.21900-5

Kris

4 REPLIES

Kris,

in CUCM you could block transfer from Offnet to offnet, inside Service parameter.

ONe of the most commun ways its using Unity to bypass, and call outside. Check Call restrictions and CSS for VM ports

Can you identified the DNs been in use? anything from there? How often this happen?

Any chanhce you can provideme CUCM logs?

Please Kudos/rate if this help!

Thanks Jose, but we're not having a problem with offnet calls being transfered to an offnet. It appears it's an offnet call coming to an onnet phone but the call display has the caller id of an onnet phone. For example:

- Offnet: cruise ad agency

- Onnet: employee kris

- Onnet: employee joe

Call comes in to kris' phone and caller ID displays "joe".

Kris picks up phone, but it is the cruise ad agency on the line.

After they pick up the phone, do you see the real number or still shows the same "joe".

Any way you can get me a CUCM trace with the call in question?

Hm... I'm not sure on that one... I believe they still see "joe".

In terms of the trace file, it's unlikely that I can get that since we've got over 1000 phones, and it's usually a while after the fact that we are informed that a user has been getting spam calls.

It's just unusual that an external caller could mask themselves as being somebody inside the company.

Views
Helpful
Replies