Views
Helpful
Replies

Fail-Over Solution For A Sip Voice Gateway

ahmedswecisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello  Guys

Hope all are doing well , I have a voice gateway that's is connected form one side to ISDN E1s and to the other end is connected to SIP server.

Since I have connection to two ISP and also I have to Ethernet ports I want to do a load balancing and a fail-over solution on my VG so none of the calls get dropped  when one of the connections goes down.

I know that for the bandwidth I can do load balancing, but my main concern is,  that am doing bind for  control and  media  to the sip service on one  of the Ethernet interfaces what will happen if the connection on that port went down ?

I need your input guys on this also if anyone have another  idea on how to preform a fail-over solution I will be grateful if you can share it with me

thanks for your help in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Binding call control and/or media to a physical interface is a problem given your requirement.  If the interface goes down then the address your signaling and media channels are bound to is not available.  You need create a loopback interface (logical interface) on voice gateway and bind to the loopback interface.  You can also have more than one loopback interface.

Now, in your case I am not sure which failure points you are referring to when you say you want to keep the calls up and active.   On the ISDN side, if the E1 that is carrying the voice channel for an active call is disconnected that call is dead.  On the IP side, it really depends on what your carrier is providing.  Meaning, you can eliminate single points of failure in your network but you should look at what happens if the CPE fails or the connection from the CPE to the provider.  Can you get to the same provider's SIP proxy servers in the event of an issue with a connection to the carrier.  IOW, if you lose ISP-1 will ISP-2 automatically participate in a dynamic re-route of UDP streams that constitute the media channel of an active call.  If ISP-2 is able/willing to do this, is ISP-1?   Maybe this is way outside the scope of your question but if not, then you will want to play out scenarios with your ISP(s).

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Binding call control and/or media to a physical interface is a problem given your requirement.  If the interface goes down then the address your signaling and media channels are bound to is not available.  You need create a loopback interface (logical interface) on voice gateway and bind to the loopback interface.  You can also have more than one loopback interface.

Now, in your case I am not sure which failure points you are referring to when you say you want to keep the calls up and active.   On the ISDN side, if the E1 that is carrying the voice channel for an active call is disconnected that call is dead.  On the IP side, it really depends on what your carrier is providing.  Meaning, you can eliminate single points of failure in your network but you should look at what happens if the CPE fails or the connection from the CPE to the provider.  Can you get to the same provider's SIP proxy servers in the event of an issue with a connection to the carrier.  IOW, if you lose ISP-1 will ISP-2 automatically participate in a dynamic re-route of UDP streams that constitute the media channel of an active call.  If ISP-2 is able/willing to do this, is ISP-1?   Maybe this is way outside the scope of your question but if not, then you will want to play out scenarios with your ISP(s).

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: