Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Failover question

If IP phones are failed over to a backup server and the primary comes back online, will calls in progress be impacted as the phones switch back over to the primary?

Also, will the phones need to reboot, or will they just silently re-home to the primary?

And finally, is re-activating a primary server something that can be done during normal business hours usually?

TIA.

6 REPLIES
Green

Re: Failover question

If IP phones are failed over to a backup server and the primary comes back online, will calls in progress be impacted as the phones switch back over to the primary?

No, the algorithm for the fallback will be executed after active calls are finished.

They just silently re-home, no need to do a manual reboot.

Is re-activating a primary server something that can be done during normal business hours usually.

This will depend on many factors, (Number of IP Phones, if remote locations involved WAN bandwitdh, etc) I would recommend it do it after hours in order to avoid high CPU, lack of resources, bottlenecks...etc.

Bronze

Well... Cisco stated that active calls will not disconnect during failover.

I am not sure true or not.

Last time I upgrade from 4.13sr2 to 4.13sr3c with OS upgrade, I got disconnect during rehome back to publisher:

1. Stay connect during upgrade publisher, reboot publisher. I make sure publisher become standby at IP phone screen.

2. got disconnect during upgrade subsrciber for some reason. I saw the phone reboot, but comes up so fast.

Ken

hi Jolo,

there will be reboot if call is not in progress but if its in progress ip phone wil nt take a reboot till the you wont hung up..

Bronze

I totally understand what you guys try to say here.

However, in my real experience, it will reboot my phone during upgrade even I am on the phone. Actually it happened couple times during the upgrade... it just weird.

Ken

yeah in that case something is realy wrong...

Green

Do you remember the phone load and phone model?

Views
Helpful
Replies