Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax Pass-through Mode vs Fax Mode

taroyamada9999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to use FAX machine under Callmanager 6.1.

The documentation below says that " Use "Fax mode" when the gateways in the network do not support "Fax pass-through mode"."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/3_0/english/administration/guide/sccp/sccpaapd.html

Is "Fax mode" just an alternative solution when you cannot use "Fax pass-through" mode?

Does "Fax mode" have any benefit over "Fax pass-through mode"?

I would like to pick more reliable solution.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Fax mode" refers to fax relay (Cisco proprietary or T.38-based). Fax pass-through attempts to use a standard G.711 with VAD disabled audio call for the T.30 signals to pass through. Pass-through is extremely sensitive to packet loss and consumes lots of bandwidth by doubling the packets sent to minimize the chances of a lost packet. This sensitivity means a minor interruption or jitter will typically fail the entire fax. Relay consumes less bandwidth and can handle a packet-based network better.

The ATA186/188 do not support relay of any kind. They suck to put it bluntly. I would recommend using the VG202 or VG204 instead if you can.

Here's a lot more on the topic:

Cisco IOS Fax, Modem, and Text Support over IP Configuration Guide, Release 12.4T

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Fax mode" refers to fax relay (Cisco proprietary or T.38-based). Fax pass-through attempts to use a standard G.711 with VAD disabled audio call for the T.30 signals to pass through. Pass-through is extremely sensitive to packet loss and consumes lots of bandwidth by doubling the packets sent to minimize the chances of a lost packet. This sensitivity means a minor interruption or jitter will typically fail the entire fax. Relay consumes less bandwidth and can handle a packet-based network better.

The ATA186/188 do not support relay of any kind. They suck to put it bluntly. I would recommend using the VG202 or VG204 instead if you can.

Here's a lot more on the topic:

Cisco IOS Fax, Modem, and Text Support over IP Configuration Guide, Release 12.4T

Thank you very much.

Your answer helped me understand the difference between them!!

You mentioned that the ATA186/188 do not support relay of any kind and "Fax mode" refers to fax relay.

What is the "Configuring the Cisco ATA for Fax Mode" section in the ATA documentation?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/3_0/english/administration/guide/sccp/sccpaapd.html

Those are the instructions for properly configuring the ATA186 to do fax pass-through. For example, it disables VAD and other settings.

Thanks for your reply.

But under "Configuring the Cisco ATA for Fax Pass-through mode" section, it enables VAD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: