Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Firmware 9.3.1SR2 vs. 9.3.1ES14S

Hello!

I'm a little bit confused because of firmware naming, version history and documentation.

A costumer has three CUCM cluster. Of course all clusters have different version like 7.1(5), 8.6 and 9.1(1a). Also the firmware is not the same. Now he wants to have the same firmware version on all clusters. So he asks me to upgrade to minimum firmware version 9.3.1SR2, he used 7962/7942 phones.

In his headquarter cluster in Germany he use the firmware 9.3.1ES14S.
If I'm correct that fixes some problem with time zone and so on.

Now my questions:

1.) Was the firmware version 9.3.1ES14S build from 9.3.1SR2? Means is that firmware newer and has all fixes like in version 9.3.1SR2?

2.) If 9.3.1ES14S is the newest version, can I use that firmware for the other clusters 7.1(5) which controls other European locations and for 9.1(1a) the cluster in Asia?

I only found the documentation for 9.3.1SR2...
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7900_series/firmware/9_3_1SR2/release_notes/P790_BK_R345967C_00_rn-9_3_1sr2-7900-series.html

Would be great if you could help me?

Kind regards
Benjamin

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Benjamin,

The Firmware 9.3.1ES14S which is working in one of the CUCM cluster would have been provided by Cisco TAC in case of any issues.These are Engineering Special versions which are published by TAC with fixes but not publicly available.

The best way to formalize same Firmware version on all CUCM clusters is to use the latest version.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

thank you for your replay!

Ok I understand that the 9.3.1ES14S is an Engineering Special, the official latest version is the 9.3.1SR2 from February 2013.

Now is the question when I rollout the 9.3.1SR2 on all cluster, did I made in the headquarter cluster a downgrade of the firmware?

Did you know that or should I open a TAC case for clarified that point

regards,

Benjamin

VIP Purple

Hi Benjamin,

The concern here is that when this ES firmware was provided by Cisco TAC as a resolution to the problem, was this 9.3.1SR1 not available on Cisco site.The customer might be aware of the past problem.

The other way what u cando is  upgrade one of the IP phone at HQ to latest version for both models and observe it for sometime.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman!

Thank you again for your replay ;-)!

I will rollout the firmware 9.3.1SR2 on EMEA and Asia cluster, but stay on 9.3.1ES14S in HQ cluster.

Because I got the information that the firmware 9.3.1ES14S was released on 9 of April 2013 and so that release should be the latest for that cluster.

Best regards

Benjamin

Views
Helpful
Replies