Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Firmware Check on IP Phones

Hello,

We have lab setup of CUCM 8.6.2 with upgraded firmware of 9.3.1SR2 as device default for ex: 7941 phones. Later we did a service upgrade to CUCM 8.6.2SU3 and the default firmware changed to 9.3.1SR1. After the switchover, the phone registered back successfully but with existing SR2 not with default load of SR1.

my point is,  When a phone boots up, it will check its nvram firmware with default load, If a phone's preloaded firmware is higher than device default, then it won't manually downgrade to default load. Am I right here?

if not, please let me know why it is not automatically downgrading to default load?

Thanks

//Suresh Please rate all the useful posts.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

If a phone's preloaded firmware is higher than device default, then it won't manually downgrade to default load. Am I right here?

Wrong. The phone will always install the load level CUCM instructs it to. If this didn't occur, one of two things is true:

1. The XMLDefault.cnf.xml or SIP.cnf.xml file was not regenerated on TFTP for the phone to notice the firmware level change. Apply config on the phone and see if this takes hold.
  2. The load level has been specified on the phone configuration directly which is overriding the cluster default.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

3 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

If a phone's preloaded firmware is higher than device default, then it won't manually downgrade to default load. Am I right here?

Wrong. The phone will always install the load level CUCM instructs it to. If this didn't occur, one of two things is true:

1. The XMLDefault.cnf.xml or SIP.cnf.xml file was not regenerated on TFTP for the phone to notice the firmware level change. Apply config on the phone and see if this takes hold.
  2. The load level has been specified on the phone configuration directly which is overriding the cluster default.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Suresh,

Just wanted to add a note to the great info from my friend Jonathan

here (+5 "J"!)

Just to add some new fun into things, you now have to watch for

new "Hardware" versions as well. This will also impact the upgrade

& downgrade determinations made by certain phones when they

look to register;

Hardware Updates

The hardware updates improve the compatibility of internal phone components.

The following table lists the updated hardware versions that require this release.

#

Phone

Hardware Version

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7942G

15.0 and higher

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7962G

15.0 and higher

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7945G

13.0 and higher

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G

13.0 and higher

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7975G

12.0 and higher

Phones  manufactured with these hardware versions must run Firmware  Release  9.3(1)SR1 or later. The phone firmware does not allow the phone  to be  downgraded to releases earlier than Release 9.3(1)SR1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7900_series/firmware/9_3_1SR1/release_notes/P790_BK_R4E1E768_00_rn-9_3_1_sr1-7900-series_chapter_00.html#P790_RF_ND56648A_00

Cheers!

Rob

"A smile relieves a heart that grieves" 

- Stones

Re: Firmware Check on IP Phones

Thanks Jonathan & Rob. Yes, when I hardcoded the load information on the phone config page, they didn't downgrade as expected.

The phone which didn't downgrade the fimrware automatically though it did not have the load information on the config page.

Perhaps as you said, the .cnf.xml file was not regenerated for that one phone on the TFTP server.

//Suresh Please rate all the useful posts.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content