Views
Helpful
Replies

Format Compact Flash memory into Csico File System

ogor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to format (into Cisco file system) a compact flash memory (no name) from windows to be ready for receiving an IOS into a CCME ?

regards

Olivier

2 Replies 2

davetucker
Level 1
Level 1

Olivier,

In my experience it is better to TFTP the files to the Flash using a 3Com Daemon.

You can add an IOS and CCME files to a CF Card from a PC. However, when you insert it into the PC DO NOT FORMAT IT! I think i am right in saying that you can only format the flash cards from the router itself...

A guide to working with CompactFlash guides can be found here. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_cflash.html

Hope this helps, if so please rate!

Regards,

Dave

mciarfello
Level 4
Level 4

I have also had more success with formatting it on the router first. But the referenced document mentions you can do it either way.

Another thing to look out for is CCME uses case-sensitive file names. If you use windows or DOS to copy the CCME files to the flash, it may mess up upper / lower case letters in the filename. Better do TFTP with the ARCHIVE /tar command.

NOW. I don't know (guessing NO) if Cisco would support a no name brand compact flash card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: