cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding options in CUCM 9.1?

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

I have an Avaya background and that's what we currently use in our US locations.   As we slowly transition to CUCM, I'm finding little things I need to learn more about.  For example, for call coverage, Avaya uses what they call Cover Paths.  You create a cover path and add up to 6 points where the call can bounce around to before finally ending up in voice mail, for example.  Typical scenario would be an executive that has the phone ring 3 times, then ring to his/her admin 3 times and if nobody at the originally dialed phone or the second phone the call covered to, then it ends up in the originally called party's voice mail.   It's very simple and easy to configure for each person.

Anyway, on our CUCM 9.1, using the available Forward options for the DN, I can't find a way to make a call ring the original phone a few times, then ring another phone a few times and then go back to the originally called party's voice mail. 

Is there a way to do this somehow?  During my testing, it seems I can either forward  an unaswered call to another phone OR to voice mail, but I can't do both.    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's the default behavior and that is configured in the VM system, not in CUCM.

The default VM selection is based on the original called number, just configure the CF behavior you mentioned.

A CFNA to B -> B CFNA to C -> C CFNA to VM.

Default behavior is you'll end up in A's VM.

And yes, if you check the VM box for CF, that overrides anything else, that's expected.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's the default behavior and that is configured in the VM system, not in CUCM.

The default VM selection is based on the original called number, just configure the CF behavior you mentioned.

A CFNA to B -> B CFNA to C -> C CFNA to VM.

Default behavior is you'll end up in A's VM.

And yes, if you check the VM box for CF, that overrides anything else, that's expected.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Ah....great.  I see now.   I wasn't thinking about it that way, but you're right, it does work.  That'll be ok for people that need one extra phone in the chain. 

We're using Microsoft Unified Messaging by the way (direct SIP trunk built between the CUCM and the Exchange UM server).  It works as you mentioned.  Outside caller calls internal DN of 1234.  DN 1234 is forwarded (no answer/busy) to DN 5678.  DN 5678 is set to forward to voice mail if there's no answer.   When the call from the outside caller arrives in MS UM, it does indeed play the correct mailbox (the originally called party's mailbox).  

Thanks for the help