Views
Helpful
Replies

FXS/DID for terminating Telco Analog

richard.grey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

Has anyone used a FXS/DID to teminate an analog phone line from the telco?

I am trying to terminate 8 Analog lines on a CUCME 8.5, the line will be be associated to two different BTNs, which are configured as huntgroups on the telco side to support inbound calling.  The challenge is that on an FXO I cannot direct the call to two separate Auto Attendants without dedicating specific lines for inbound calls.  For this I would need a Full or Partial PRI and route the call based on called number translation.

Would using FXS/DID allow 2 BTNs to share all 8 analog lines and allow translation rules based on the called number to route calls to the proper AA.

My understanding of FXS is that it can be used to connect FAX, Analog Phones and PBX.  Can I FXS/DID used to also terminate a regular analog phone line?

Please provide a config example if possible

Thanks

Richard

5 Replies 5

markcarat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard,

I believe you would need a FXO card to terminate a POTs line

Mark

Thanks Markcarat, appreciated

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

richard.grey wrote:

Hello Folks,

Has anyone used a FXS/DID to teminate an analog phone line from the telco?

I am trying to terminate 8 Analog lines on a CUCME 8.5, the line will be be associated to two different BTNs, which are configured as huntgroups on the telco side to support inbound calling.  The challenge is that on an FXO I cannot direct the call to two separate Auto Attendants without dedicating specific lines for inbound calls.  For this I would need a Full or Partial PRI and route the call based on called number translation.

Would using FXS/DID allow 2 BTNs to share all 8 analog lines and allow translation rules based on the called number to route calls to the proper AA.

My understanding of FXS is that it can be used to connect FAX, Analog Phones and PBX.  Can I FXS/DID used to also terminate a regular analog phone line?

Please provide a config example if possible

Thanks

Richard

No, but it can terminate analog DID lines from telco. On this type of lines, called number is available, biut not CLI.

So, if you want everything, you will need ISDN PRI or BRI.

Hello Paolo,

Thank you for your quick response, just to confirm

1. The customer would have to order a special DID line / trunk from the telco?
  2. Does the DID lines support both Inbound and Outbound calling?

I do not understand what you meant by " not CLI". Can you explain?

Thanks for your help

Richard

Yes, they have to order analog DID lines. These do not support outbound, nor CLID. Not many sites uses them anymore.

If you not truly need DIDs, get regular lines instead.

However the best choice is ISDN, or even SIP trunking..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: