Views
Helpful
Replies

G.703 for voice

a.yoshihara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have CallManager3.3(3) and will install Cisco28xx for PRI-E1(G.703).

Is VWIC2-xMFT-G703 necessary ?

We have no experience of G.703.

Please teach me.

regards

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any VWIC2-xMFT will do the job. The G703 is not necessary for PRI, but will work as well. See:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_configuration_example09186a008052c920.shtml

Please rate useful posts.

Thank you for your response.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d2e5.shtml

Does Cisco support E1/G703 voice?

Regards

Yes it does as I've indicated above and you can learn from the documents linked.

Remember to rate useful posts!

The documents say

The following combinations of data and voice are supported:

T1/E1 data

E1/G.703 data

T1/E1 packet voice

Mixed data and packet voice

Mixed data and packet voice with drop and insert

I wonder if 'T1/E1 packet voice' might include E1/G.703.

regards

Your are worrying excessively. Your PRI application is supported as I've indicated before.

Now for the educational side of the thread, G.703 is the international standard that describes the physical characteristics of data communication interfaces - from 64 kbps to 155 mbps and above. In short, T1, E1 and a bunch of other interfaces that probably you never heard of, are all G.703 compliant.

But in cisco parlance, G.703, or unframed E1 means a special mode of operation of E1 interfaces in which the full speed of 2,048,000 bits per seconds is available to the user. This mode is used only for data and not for PRI. Cisco manufactures a version of VWIC-xMFT (the one with suffix G.703) that also supports this mode, while the other versions do not.

Hope this make things more clear to you.

Thank you very much.

I understand ITU-T G.703 term differs from Cisco G.703 term.

This URL is for data only.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_feature_guide09186a00800e976b.html

Our carrier says it is E1 G.703.

But we have to make a router configuration for ordinary PRI E1. For example, we don't need 'channel-group x unframed' command.

Is it right?

Yes, as I said four times now, the router will support E1 / PRI and is G.703 for the reasons explained above.

I greatly appreciate your kindness.

Thank you very much.

Hi,

I would like to ask you if a VWIC-1MFT-E1 is ok for PRI g703 or do I need to use a Is VWIC2-xMFT-G703?

Best Regards Thanks

VWIC-1MFT-E1 is OK (and much less expensive).

VWIC2-xMFT-G703 is only when you need unframed E1.

hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thank you, I will try it.

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: