Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

g711 to lan and g729 to wan

Hello sirs!

I would like to use g.729 to my voip server on wan and g711 over the "inside lan phones", but where can I explict this? I am using cca, but didnt find. Maybe over CLI. But where could I put this?

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Hi

You can specify the codec on the gateway(normally a router), for example like as below.

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

codec preference 3 g711alaw

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi

You can specify the codec on the gateway(normally a router), for example like as below.

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

codec preference 3 g711alaw

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

Hi Kaja, thanks for reply, but how can I fix the 711 just for call inside of lan and 729 to pstn/voip calls ?

Thanks a lot!

Bronze

Hi

With the introduction of Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(5)T, Cisco VoIP gateways support the codec negotiation feature. This feature provides the ability for a Cisco VoIP gateway to connect to other VoIP devices without necessarily knowing which codec is used for a call-setup. Also, this feature allows Cisco VoIP gateways to dynamically adjust to changes on remote devices. As long as the codec used by the remote VoIP device matches the capabilities-list of the Cisco VoIP gateway, the VoIP call is completed. 

Since G.729 is the default codec for dial-peers, calls would use g729 by default across the WAN.  However Inorder to use the local calls to use G711 we configure as I mentioned and  apply the command "voice class codec 1" at the inbound dial-peers. 

Please rate if it helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

wOw, very nice explanation!

Thanks a lot man!!

Views
Helpful
Replies