Views
Helpful
Replies

g711 to lan and g729 to wan

lima.pedro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sirs!

I would like to use g.729 to my voip server on wan and g711 over the "inside lan phones", but where can I explict this? I am using cca, but didnt find. Maybe over CLI. But where could I put this?

Thanks so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kaja_2kj3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can specify the codec on the gateway(normally a router), for example like as below.

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

codec preference 3 g711alaw

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kaja_2kj3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can specify the codec on the gateway(normally a router), for example like as below.

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

codec preference 3 g711alaw

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

Hi Kaja, thanks for reply, but how can I fix the 711 just for call inside of lan and 729 to pstn/voip calls ?

Thanks a lot!

Hi

With the introduction of Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(5)T, Cisco VoIP gateways support the codec negotiation feature. This feature provides the ability for a Cisco VoIP gateway to connect to other VoIP devices without necessarily knowing which codec is used for a call-setup. Also, this feature allows Cisco VoIP gateways to dynamically adjust to changes on remote devices. As long as the codec used by the remote VoIP device matches the capabilities-list of the Cisco VoIP gateway, the VoIP call is completed. 

Since G.729 is the default codec for dial-peers, calls would use g729 by default across the WAN.  However Inorder to use the local calls to use G711 we configure as I mentioned and  apply the command "voice class codec 1" at the inbound dial-peers. 

Please rate if it helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

wOw, very nice explanation!

Thanks a lot man!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: