cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General guidance needed for adding MGCP gateway to CUCM 9.1

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

We have a spare 2921 router that used to run Call Manager Express as a test.  I've erased the config on the router to start out fresh because I'd like to use this router as a test gateway for our CUCM 9.1.  The router has a couple analog cards in it and a 4 port PoE switch.  Basically, what I'd like to do is add this as a new gateway on CUCM and create a new analog phone to assign to this gateway. 

Can you describe the basic steps I'd need to do to add this 2921 as a new gateway?  I believe it should be added as a MGCP gateway, but I think the IOS version on the router doesn't support MGCP.  The IOS right now is:  Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(3)M, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)  That worked fine for CME, but would it work with CUCM or do I need a different version?

If I type MGCP on the router command line, it doesn't like that command (as if it's not available).  If I type ? and press enter, I don't see MGCP as an available command.  What IOS should I have loaded?  The funny thing is though, when I do a show run, I do see MGCP stuff in there.  Sorry, I'm just a little confused by this since routers are not really my expertise :-)  Here's the MGCP items I see in the running config:

mgcp behavior rsip-range tgcp-only

mgcp behavior comedia-role none

mgcp behavior comedia-check-media-src disable

mgcp behavior comedia-sdp-force disable

!

mgcp profile default

From what I understand, adding the router as a MGCP gateway would be the best way to go as far as making the administration more simple (less manual config on the router), right? 

Here's more info about the 2921:

Cisco CISCO2921/K9 (revision 1.0) with 475136K/49152K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FTX1431AKX9

4 FastEthernet interfaces

3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2 terminal lines

2 Voice FXO interfaces

2 Voice FXS interfaces

1 Internal Services Module (ISM) with Services Ready Engine (SRE)

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.

255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

254464K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

8 Replies 8

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

:-(   I just realized I didn't run the 'mgcp' command in config t mode.  I just did that so I'll try to add the 2921 to CUCM now.  Maybe that was my problem.  Oops!  I'll let you know if I still have troubles....sorry....

OK...I guess I do need some help/explanations about this type of setup.  When I add the 2921 as a MGCP gateway, it doesn't give me an option to configure anything related to the analog ports for example.  So I guess I'm still confused about how this should really be setup. 

If there's a document that describes what to do in this scenario, please point me in the right direction or also feel free to give me the overview of what I should do in a situation like this.

Thanks for your help

There are plenty of examples on cisco.com if you search

How to Configure MGCP with Digital PRI and Cisco CallManager

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/media-gateway-control-protocol-mgcp/23966-mgcp-pri-cm.html

Configuring Cisco CallManager with IOS MGCP Gateways (Analog FXO, FXS Ports)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/17732-cm-mgcp-intro.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

I found this guide about an hour ago and went through the steps.  It seems to be trying to register with CUCM, but so far the router just keeps saying 'Registering with CM' when I do a 'show ccm' command.   I reloaded the router and now I see even more good signs...it shows all 3 CUCM servers in my CM group when I do the show ccm command, but it still just says 'registering' and never really finishes getting registered. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/42105-vg200-cfg.html

I made sure the hostname on the router and the name on the CUCM matches for this gateway.  I'm not using a domain name (no ip domain-name) so as I understand it, I don't have to enter the FQDN.   For exmaple, if the router doesn't have an IP domain assigned and the hostname of the router is for example, GATEWAY1, all I need to enter for the name in CUCM is GATEWAY1.....not something like GATEWAY1.COMPANY.COM    Correct?  

Anyway, CUCM and the router are definitely talking to each other because the router did download more info from CUCM about the other servers in the CM group, but it's just not fully registering and I'm not sure why yet.

This info now shows up in the 'show ccm' command and it wasn't there before I reloaded the router.  So I can see there's some communication happening between CUCM and the router, but I'm not sure yet why the router still won't register with CUCM as a MGCP gateway.

Configuration Auto-Download Information

=======================================

Current version-id: 0000000000-c7a6c673-7479-46b0-839e-014d3d093963

Last config-downloaded:00:00:00

Current state: Waiting for commands

Configuration Download statistics:

Download Attempted             : 1

Download Successful          : 1

Download Failed              : 0

TFTP Download Failed         : 0

Configuration Attempted        : 1

Configuration Successful     : 1

Configuration Failed(Parsing): 0

Configuration Failed(config) : 0

Last config download command: New Registration

Correct, if you don't have a domain name, just the hostname.

Do you have something plugged in the interfaces????

If Layer 1 and 2 are not up, they won't register.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

I have the LAN plugged into Gi0/0 to get it on the network.  I can ping the router and the router can ping the CUCM servers.  Is that what you're asking when you ask if I have something plugged into the interfaces?  Wasn't sure which interface you're asking about.

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

I was just looking at the Admin Guide for 9.1 and I don't see the 2921 listed as a device that can be added as a MGCP gateway, so maybe that's the problem.  It may have to be added as H.323.   If that's the case, I guess my test it shot....as far as using this particular router as a MGCP gateway.

Well, through the magic of YouTube, I figured out how to make this work as MGCP with the 2921.  I have an analog station working now on that 2921 :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bsqqq-7lE

I was just missing the fact that you have to set the 'module in slot 0' to what you see below and THEN the actual modules that you have in the router can be defined there.  I didn't realize that.  I'm new at this, so forgive me ;-)   After that was done, I was able to create the new station assigned to that device.  Also, I didn't realize the gateway itself won't show registered in CUCM.  You only see the actual endpoints (ports) registered. 

11-cisco.jpg