cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General strategy for voice recording

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

We're preparing to deploy a call recording solution to one of our branches, and I have a couple of questions regarding the overall strategy. This particular branch is on a remote CUCM 5.1 cluster with local CUE.

Setting up the spans to send the RTP traffic to the call recording server is not a problem. What I'm trying to figure out is...

I've read that the FCC mandates that the 'your call may be recorded' disclaimer must be played before the recording starts. Does that really matter? If so, how have you dealt with that?

Secondly, and this may tie in with my first question, this branch has a local CUE with 8 ports. I was planning on front-ending all inbound calls to CUE. This presents a couple of potential issues in my mind. Can I use a script to play the disclaimer msg and then send the call to the originally dialed number? ...or is my only option there to play the msg and present a dial by name/ext menu? Beyond that, there will most probably be more than 8 simultaneous inbound calls, let alone people checking vm, etc.

It seems that maybe CUE is not the best choice for playing the disclaimer msg. Are there other ISR-based or CUCM-based options that I'm overlooking? The ISR is local so I'd prefer to keep this there rather than traversing the wan, but I'm open to ideas.

If anyone cares to share their strategies on this, I'd be grateful.

cheers,

Will

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In earlier versions you could change the .wav files that the annunciator used. However, looking over the 6.X System guide it doesn't seem possible anymore.

Straigt from the guide "No configuration exists to customize these announcements or to add new announcements".

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

My original post was pretty long, so I'll try to make this brief.

Since the FCC mandates that the recording can't begin until after the "your call may be recorded" disclaimer is played, how do you approach this? Is it safe to just record all calls with the assumption that after hearing the disclaimer, anyone who is uncomfortable will hangup?

Also, where is the disclaimer typically played from (i.e. Unity/CUE, etc)? Are there better options than voicemail for this so I don't have to be concerned about vm port exhaustion?

The call recording is for just one branch, and they have 7960's so I can't enable a recording tone just for them? ...or can I?

thanks,

Will

I do not know when you purchased Call Manager, but a few years back all purchases came with a 5 agent license for UCCX Standard addition. Each agent gives you 2 IVR ports so this would give you 10 calls.

UCCX is very flexible and will do exactly what you need by frontending the calls with a Prompt stating your call my be recorded for quality assurance.

The other option is to use the Cisco Live Record feature for CUE. However, you need to be running CUE version 3.X or later in order to get that feature. This will allow you to record a converstaion and it drop into the users voicemail box. A tone is played when the Live Record feature is activated. This is a manual process though.

The other option is to do what you have mentioned. Use CUE to frontend the calls and once a selection is made present them a prompt stating the call may be recorded.

Just my thoughts.. If this helps, please rate post.

Kelvin,

Thanks for your notes. Do you know if the Annunciator could be used for this? I don't know much about it and have never used it. Or could I play the disclaimer message on the ISR via some sort of Tcl script or is that CME-specific?

I'd rather not have to deploy UCCX - mostly because I'm lazy and have too much to support already. ;)

thanks,

Will

In earlier versions you could change the .wav files that the annunciator used. However, looking over the 6.X System guide it doesn't seem possible anymore.

Straigt from the guide "No configuration exists to customize these announcements or to add new announcements".

Cool - one last question. Is there a way to play the msg at the ISR via Tcl or something?

thanks,

Will

I would like to think it is possible. Never really tried it. I can tell you that It would more likely need to be a h323 gateway for that to even be possible. You will have greater control of the calls prior to getting into Call Manager. You can possibly setup a dialpeer that triggers a tcl. play the prompt and transfer back to the router to handle the call and send it to Call Manager.

Maybe others have done something similar and might have more to say on that particular topic.

I would recommend using H323 to front end to call manager as mentioned and then using the B-ACD on router flash which utilizes TCL and gives you a little flexibility and customization and will definitely to enough to play a greeting/disclaimer which would reside on router flash then using the timoute paramater send the call to call manager after the initial wav file stops playing.

This should help so you are not TCL scripting from scratch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/bacd/configuration/guide/40bacd.html#wp1058600

Great! Thanks for the link and the idea. I migrated their gateway from MGCP to H.323 several months ago so I'll look into B-ACD.

thanks again,

Will

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: