cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Geographic dns and SRV records

MikeJSimcor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, we are attempting to streamline our connectivity and provide a set of DNS SRV rrecords to our endusers when they login and have the user connect to the closest server, typically the fastest with the lowest latency is what we'd like to accomplish.  If they are in Singapore, the SRV records returned would have singapore listed first, AU next, RU and EU

i've researched some about geographic dns and managed dns providers that offer this, so far I haven't found many, seems like AWS does this and cloudfloordns that claims to do this. anyone else?

Does anyone have any real world experience doing this, we have servers in US, London, Russia, Sydney and Singapore.   I've setup a demo account with cloudfloor and have reached out to aws, any other providers you can inform us about will help our testing process -tyia - mikej

2 Replies 2

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We use Akamai for geo DNS services across different technology including

1. MRA

2. Phone-VPN

We have users distributed across EMEA, AMEA and APAC

It works very well and the service Akamai provides is first class.

Please rate all useful posts

I appreciate the details but the solution with Akamai will no doubt be over our budget. The Cloudfloor solution seems to do what we want and from my initial pricing research it's much more cost effective than Akamai - they tend to be extremely expensive from my past experience with them but I agree they are top of class when it comes to CDN and Enterprise DNS

We haven't committed yet so any other suggestions?  thank you again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: